Awesome Crysis 3 gameplay

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
The first extended footage of Crysis 3 gameplay, and I must say, it looks stunning!

If this is the console version, then Crytek really have done something amazing, because from what I saw, there was a clear increase in graphical fidelity from Crysis 2......which I thought would not be possible considering the consoles are already maxed out.

The environment seems a lot more reminiscent of the original Crysis as well with massive open areas, which is a good thing. Lets just hope Crysis 3 isn't as linear as Crysis 2..

Feb 6, 2007
Looks amazing for a console game, but I hope that doesn't mean they're scaling the PC version back from what they could do... And I'm assuming that we're seeing this on console based on the dialog prompts that popped up saying "Press B for Air Stomp" and the like. Maybe it's running on a PC with a 360 controller. Anyway, as long as they push the bar to the point where PCs can't max it for another 3 years, that would be ideal.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
how many years after crysis 2 is this game?

Crysis 2 came out last year in March, and I think Crysis 3 will be due out early next year around the same time.

Official E3 trailer... Make sure you watch it in HD..

Wicked! :eek:

I'm pretty sure that was the console version. Crytek always uses the Xbox 360 version for all of their trailers..

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
There was a button prompt for B, so it looks like 360.

You can get those prompts on the PC in some ported games, even if you aren't using a 360 controller. The only thing that may point to that being console footage is all the jaggies in the "Official E3 Trailer" They are very clear if you play the 1080p video.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Looks cool. I just have one obvious negative. Why does the AI die as soon as you throw them in the air? Did he shit and piss his pants, have a heart attack, and bust a nut all in a split second and in that sequence?

It would just be a whole lot cooler and engrossing if he died on impact of his landing.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
It could be PC footage.

OK, after watching the video again, I agree, it's probably the PC version..

What convinced me was the amount of particle effects.

Looks cool. I just have one obvious negative. Why does the AI die as soon as you throw them in the air? Did he shit and piss his pants, have a heart attack, and bust a nut all in a split second and in that sequence?

It would just be a whole lot cooler and engrossing if he died on impact of his landing.

Before you throw them like that, you crush their neck. So basically, he's already dead.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
If you guys want to see some of the tech to Crysis 3 on PC, you can in this link. The engine is the same as you saw in Crysis 2 with some further evolution of a few features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMwk2Zi0c3o&feature=related

They also continue to prove that CPU physics can provide a superior experience than anything that is playable using nvidia's physx along with not incurring the performance hit running physics on your gpu does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmaHj6mpT0k

Skipping this game personally. Crysis 2 was disappointing in not raising the bar and looking worse overall than Crysis 1 & Warhead did. Also felt heavily like a console port. I think this trailer is the 360 version, it's not that graphically impressive. View distances and texturing are really poor.

Maybe they can resolve both issues with 3. Not paying for it out the gate this time though, not after getting burned on the second one.

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Looks extremely scripted. I mean either the video was made to show this way, or in the game, some of that is not really interactive by the player...meaning you only control where to shoot and when to move forward...like the part where he jumps off and detonates the explosives then grabs the zip line..etc looks non interactive.

So i take it that its gonna be quite linear and scripted, from the physics to the level design. another shooter on rails....might as well be playing house of the dead, lol

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
They're also really selling that bow and arrow... And all I can think is "Why?"

guessing cause not many other modern games use bow and arrows? or cause it makes him look like a futureistic rambo badass.

i kinda miss the wierd weapons of old games, like in Turok, that frisbee blade that could ricochet off stuff? Or the shredding blades in Painkiller.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Super scripted. Possibly even pre-rendered cutscenes, though it's hard to tell at that resolution. Yawn.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Super scripted. Possibly even pre-rendered cutscenes, though it's hard to tell at that resolution. Yawn.

I would say scripted. Crysis 2 was filled with these in-game scripted moments that ripped control away from you so something would happen. Looks like a lot of similar stuff here... meh.

However I still liked the game. It looked good enough if gameplay got a little stale near the end. My biggest issue was the terrible textures. I tried to play the original before it and didn't understand why people still say it looks great, it's noticeably dates. Yes, with mods it can look great... but with mods ANYTHING can look great. Altering the game and then complaining about new games not reaching that level of modded visuals is an apples to orange comparison.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I don't mind the bow and arrow, but the least they could have done is use an aiming system like a real bow has, and not some magical floating crosshairs.

Why are there still graphical crosshairs in FPS, anyway? We can aim the weapons themselves, as it should be......shooting from the hip should be inaccurate, just as it would be in real life.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I don't mind the bow and arrow, but the least they could have done is use an aiming system like a real bow has, and not some magical floating crosshairs.

Why are there still graphical crosshairs in FPS, anyway? We can aim the weapons themselves, as it should be......shooting from the hip should be inaccurate, just as it would be in real life.

Fist, if you have the ability to aim down the sights then they usually make sure firing from the hip is pretty damned inaccurate. Second, a lot of games allow you to turn off the crosshairs.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i was disappointed with crysis2. crysis1 was infinitely more enjoyable.

and the aliens were truly alien.