AWD and manual transmission WRX lovers HERE!

Jejunum

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
my dad just called me up after listening to car talk and said that someone had asked about manual tranmissions and awd (specifically on subarus!). The brothers (err name?) said to avoid a manual transmission on an AWD vehicle because the clutch wore out faster. They then said taht it was extremely hard to replace clutches and expensive, on awd cars. Is their any validity to this? Anyone have any experience (awd and manuals!)
thnx guys!

-Jejunum

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
so, get a turbo awd WRX and NOT get manual? why would you even get that kind of car and not get manual? :)

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
I have an awd impreza (not wrx) and I don't think that is true at all. I just replaced my clutch at 89,000 miles, but mostly because I pop it a lot and drive like a madman. The additional stress on the clutch is probably compensated for in the design phase (meaning they design a better clutch). I don't think it costs more to replace than a normal clutch. I don't know how much mine cost off the top of my head, it was part of a $1600 mass repair that included an oil leak on the main crank seal, new timing belt as a result of the leak, torn cv boot (and driveshaft), clutch and tune up.

IDMUD

Dec 7, 2001
I own a GT, the model before the impreza went buttugly.

Regarding the clutch, sure it wears quicker since the wheels wont spin when you accellerate hard. But it really has more to do with the way you drive than that it is AWD.

If (when :) it breaks, just install a tougher one instead of the original. They range from about 400-800$ in parts.

Jejunum

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
i probably wouldnt be getting a wrx :(

but of course whatever i get id much prefer a manual for fun err i mean control
so Vadatajs at 89k miles on a 2.2 liter impreza? any crazy mods or anythign i used know about? also how much was it to replace; cauze crazy car talk said (or my dad did !) 1000$ and i was like insane!

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001

<< i probably wouldnt be getting a wrx :(

but of course whatever i get id much prefer a manual for fun err i mean control
so Vadatajs at 89k miles on a 2.2 liter impreza? any crazy mods or anythign i used know about? also how much was it to replace; cauze crazy car talk said (or my dad did !) 1000$ and i was like insane!
>>

sorry, not a 2.2l, just your normal everyday impreza L 1.8L.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Clutch kit $397
Flywheel resurfacing $69
labor $281 (but this includes the cv boot and driveshaft)

It is a bit pricey I guess.

Jejunum

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
hehe btw i posted wrx lovers here so that people would actually look at my thread; now does someone wanna like me the 8 thousand extra dollars I need to get a WRX?

IDMUD

Dec 7, 2001
A good quote: "Drive it like a rally car and pay the service cost of a rally car" :)

Jejunum

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000

<< A good quote: "Drive it like a rally car and pay the service cost of a rally car" >>

i have no intention of driving it as a rally car (though i wish i had a rally car) but i still wanna know if the costs of manual transmission clutches are inordinate...anyone else there have any experience?

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< sorry, not a 2.2l, just your normal everyday impreza L 1.8L >>

What year? I thought all the newer Impreza engines were 2.2l, and the Outback+ were 2.5l? Maybe that's just from '98 up (I'm looking at a 98 wagon, L series or Outback).

Rob

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000

<< I don't think it costs more to replace than a normal clutch. >>

It actually does because there are more parts that have to be removed.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001

<<

<< sorry, not a 2.2l, just your normal everyday impreza L 1.8L >>

What year? I thought all the newer Impreza engines were 2.2l, and the Outback+ were 2.5l? Maybe that's just from '98 up (I'm looking at a 98 wagon, L series or Outback).

Rob
>>

It's a 1993, the first year of production.