"Award-winning pot has deep purple hue, aroma of sweet berries"

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091215/articles/912159949&tc=yahoo

In a sign of marijuana's growing legitimacy, more than 700 people braved bad weather Saturday for Mendocino County's sixth annual Emerald Cup awards ceremony, the culmination of a month of examining, tasting and smelling pot.

The once clandestine event has emerged from the shadows as medical marijuana has become increasingly mainstream, said organizer Tim Blake, who hosts the event at his Area 101 spiritual and events center north of Laytonville.

“It's becoming so legal. Everybody has a medical license now,” he said.

Still, the 1st place winner, a Mendocino County resident asked that he be identified only as “Hawaii Dave.”

His “cotton candy kush” beat out 99 other entries to claim the elaborate first place glass cup, appropriately decorated with marijuana leaves.

“It's nice to be recognized for my efforts,” he said.

Eight judges and their assistants — generally partners or housemates — began sampling the entries in their homes Nov. 1, Blake said.

“The judges are smoking three or four a day,” he said. It's a serious job.”

Most take months off from smoking pot afterward, he said. One of the judges was last seen standing on a stepladder reaching into the sky, trying to replace the rather dim new moon with a new light bulb.

The entries are judged on appearance, smell, taste and effect, Blake said.

This year's winner is a deep purple color with iridescent orange hairs. It has a sweet berry smell and is extremely potent, said Hawaii Dave.

Samples of the top entries were available at the Emerald Cup, said Blake. Attendees also bring their own pot to the event, he said.

The celebration also featured a half dozen bands, food and vendor booths that included hemp and marijuana products, Blake said.

Proceeds from the $50 entry tickets will benefit the Trees Foundation and the Mendocino Medical Marijuana Advisory Board, he said.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

only in California ?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Mass civil disobedience seems to be the only answer to the absurdity of drug laws. I totally disrespect the government for its war on drugs but take no drugs at all. Not much interest in being high from them.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Mass civil disobedience seems to be the only answer to the absurdity of drug laws. I totally disrespect the government for its war on drugs but take no drugs at all. Not much interest in being high from them.
Lifes interesting enough sober.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008

Really? REALLY?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
When government starts paying for citizens' health care, do we think it'll then be easier to get rid of these "absurd drug laws?" Nope.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Perfect example of the abuse of the "medical use" laws! :thumbsdown:

Why take this loophole seriously if it will be flagrently abused?

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
In a sign of marijuana's growing legitimacy
...Yeah, because there aren't enough doped-up people out there in society and on our roads already. Let's have bunches more!

Seriously. People wonder why the US is busy flushing itself down the toilet, this is one big reason. Drug glorification.

Become a rocket scientist? Nah, too much hard work required! C'mon, have a joint instead. Turn on, tune in, drop out!

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091215/articles/912159949&tc=yahoo
Eight judges and their assistants — generally partners or housemates — began sampling the entries in their homes Nov. 1, Blake said.

“The judges are smoking three or four a day,” he said. It's a serious job.”

Most take months off from smoking pot afterward, he said. One of the judges was last seen standing on a stepladder reaching into the sky, trying to replace the rather dim new moon with a new light bulb.

I wonder if we'll see this on Dirty Jobs.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
...Yeah, because there aren't enough doped-up people out there in society and on our roads already. Let's have bunches more!

Seriously. People wonder why the US is busy flushing itself down the toilet, this is one big reason. Drug glorification.

Become a rocket scientist? Nah, too much hard work required! C'mon, have a joint instead. Turn on, tune in, drop out!

Seriously? Pot doesn't make you retarded you know.

If you couldn't become a rocket scientist blame it on yourself.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

America's problem is that they're always looking for a scapegoat

personal responsibility ftw

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005

I've got news for you. I know a rocket scientist-and he smokes weed.
And stoned drivers are far less of a hazard than alcohol drinkers, yet alcohol is legal.
The U.S. is flushing itself down the toilet, and this is a big reason-alcohol.
How did our last president do, you know, the alcoholic?

Many high achievers in our society smoke pot. Sounds like you need to calm down and try some.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
And stoned drivers are far less of a hazard than alcohol drinkers, yet alcohol is legal.

Many high achievers in our society smoke pot. Sounds like you need to calm down and try some.

It's all about prescriptions now and amazingly they don't really test for that.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
I got to smoke some of that cotton candy, it really does taste just like it.

Wish some of that would go mainstream seems the big growers keep it to themselves for exclusive parties/awards and such.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
&#8220;It's becoming so legal. Everybody has a medical license now,&#8221; he said.

So is legality a percentile (0&#37; to 100%), or a quantity (I have 6.7 pounds of legal)?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
So is legality a percentile (0% to 100%), or a quantity (I have 6.7 pounds of legal)?

limits ruled unconstitutional. Legal up to personal use unless you are an MMJ provider.

Old limits were 8 plants and 8 ounces iirc

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I haven't partook in decades but it sounds very inviting. I'd probably take a hit or two and get all paranoid.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I got to smoke some of that cotton candy, it really does taste just like it.

Wish some of that would go mainstream seems the big growers keep it to themselves for exclusive parties/awards and such.

I'll be honest all that weed that people say tastes like something else. It doesn't to me. It just tastes like less of shit than the other stuff. I love smoking, but honestly outside of potency I don't give a flying fuck what it is called or how it tastes(because NO weed tastes good, they just taste less gross than others)

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'll be honest all that weed that people say tastes like something else. It doesn't to me. It just tastes like less of shit than the other stuff. I love smoking, but honestly outside of potency I don't give a flying fuck what it is called or how it tastes(because NO weed tastes good, they just taste less gross than others)

find a better dealer

ra990

Aug 18, 2005

Haha, you're trolling right? You can't seriously be that ignorant about pot?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Yeah, one of my good friends from college was valedictorian of his HS, grad w/ honors from a top chem school, and went to Berkley (top 3 chem program att) for his chem PhD.

All the while he was a total stoner.
Otherwise I've known teetotalers who are completely useless.

One rarely has to do with the other, despite the pop culture ideas of it.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

I really hope, for your sake, you are not this ignorant about pot.

I smoked alot in high school and I still managed to pull a 3.9GPA. I was also in several honor's classes, on student council, in orchestra and symphony, track team, ran cross country, played football, etc.

Pot doesn't make you lazy. It only makes you more lazy if you are already lazy. Of course, if I would smoke an absurd amount, I might have to sit down and space out, but that's no different than drinking too much. Like anything, too much is too much. Personaly responsibility FTW.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Yeah, one of my good friends from college was valedictorian of his HS, grad w/ honors from a top chem school, and went to Berkley (top 3 chem program att) for his chem PhD.

All the while he was a total stoner.
Otherwise I've known teetotalers who are completely useless.

One rarely has to do with the other, despite the pop culture ideas of it.

this is one of the half-hidden secrets of Silicon Valley. the official history revolves around the integration of Stanford and other universities, and Hewlett Packard.

Filo and/or Yang (Yahoo founders) were known for being marijuana users - in addition to being business tycoons.

Same for Jobs & Ellison. In one magazine interview, Ellison jokes about "going over to Steve's house to smoke some hash".

one other demographic fact about California & high-tech - one of the top five cities in the US, in terms of the # of patents per occupant is ... Willits. THE center of Mendocino & the $10 billion pot-growing industry in Mendocino County. just a wierd coincidence ? i don't know. actually, the study i saw had Willits at the top of the list, not just in the top 5; i'm trying to be conservative.

i think part of it has something to do with real estate - people drive up 101, see Willits which is right on 101, see "all the nice redwoods", and realize, "i could get $500K for my home in Sunnyvale & buy a home here for $150K" (8 years ago). last time i was in Willits, i met a retired Lockheed manager at the coffee shop on 101 that did just that.