AVIVO vs Purevideo at Tom's Hardware

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
This review may be true for DVD MPEG playback, but I think that HD video is more important than DVD playback for today's machines.

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
Thats a good point, but DVD is still going strong, thanks in part to the HD format war.
Since both articles mainly focus on DVD playback, I am curious why the results are so
different?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of this article? I just find the results inconsistent with other comparisons that
have been done
You may have been on to something, Toms hardware has pulled the article.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
Here are the main points which should be considered:-

"Video encoding is a fundamental difference between the capabilities of Avivo and Purevideo. ATI claims that Avivo allows for accelerated video encoding. Nvidia makes no similar claim with Purevideo."

Why do you think Nvidia makes no similar claim with pure video?

"As far as secondary concerns go, Avivo seems to use less CPU power, but frankly that's not a big deal unless you have a very specific personal requirement. For video encoding, Avivo offers a free encoder, which is a nice free tool for sure but not the GPU accelerated wonder-software that would make it a must-have."

Don't you just love free stuff, how much does ATI Avivo cost and how much does Nvidia Purevideo cost again? ;)

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: nemesismk2
Here are the main points which should be considered:-

"Video encoding is a fundamental difference between the capabilities of Avivo and Purevideo. ATI claims that Avivo allows for accelerated video encoding. Nvidia makes no similar claim with Purevideo."

Why do you think Nvidia makes no similar claim with pure video?

"As far as secondary concerns go, Avivo seems to use less CPU power, but frankly that's not a big deal unless you have a very specific personal requirement. For video encoding, Avivo offers a free encoder, which is a nice free tool for sure but not the GPU accelerated wonder-software that would make it a must-have."

Don't you just love free stuff, how much does ATI Avivo cost and how much does Nvidia Purevideo cost again? ;)
It's rather sad really, both parties have been promising hardware-accelerated encoding for some time now and have never even gotten close to delivering it. I have a copy of the X800 launch-day slideslow saying MPEG4 encoding acceleration was coming, never mind the fact that even the R600 won't have it.:eek:

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Opinion of article?

Article = Crap

Like all the other "gamer reviews video" AVIVO vs Purevideo"shootouts".

Far from comprehensive, plenty of misinformation, reviewer obviously not a video entusiast, Lack of comparison to common, freely available software solutions embraced by the community.

Basically, just another crappy HQV score shootout that reviews very little and settles nothing.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
I can't believe it myself but is it true that Nvidia charges owners of even the 8800 GTX for PureVideo Platinum? It is surely supplied free with all products in the price range of the 8800 GTX?

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
Remember, the "Purevideo" that Nvidia charges for is its mpeg2 decoder. The purevideo feature set is automatically part of
the card. Still, Nvidia should do better and provide a basic decoder for their customers.

C Snyder