AVGN - the 3DO... ah, the 90s!

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I remember seeing these at the expensive electronics store on the good side of town when I was a kid and being unimpressed. Now the Neo Geos they had for sale had me drooling like an idiot. Still, I had the SNES which was IMO the best console of the generation, so can't complain.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What was good on Sega CD other than Sonic CD?
Snatcher by Konami was an excellent choose-your-own path "Cyberpunk" adventure game, with some futurist overtones, and some actions sequences. It was Konami Justifier (their light-gun) compatible.

Really, one of the best games for the platform, IMHO.

They also had some good versions of Shadow of the Beast and Shadow of the Beast 2.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Sega CD sucked. I had one and wanted 3DO more than that, but it was like $600 or something super expensive back in the day.

I remember Mortal Kombat on Sega CD initially was shown and had arcade perfect graphics and sound, and then it comes out and it is literally the Genesis game with arcade perfect sound, oh, and when Shang Tsung morphed, it paused the game for like 5 seconds while it loaded the new character.

I still have some of my Sega CD games including Night Trap lol.

Feb 4, 2009
I had one of these and it is hands down the best game system add on to date. The video is pretty accurate. The Super Charger had its own on board memory and greatly expanded what was possible. I could spend hours on Dragon Stomper plus I never finished it, the added bonus to me it is around the time I discovered D&D with some friends. The included Phaser Patrol was way before its time, different sectors to explore & defend, heat speaking missiles, warp drive that took time to activate and if I remember correctly star bases you had to navigate find and fly to for refueling or arming.
The asteroids like game was really cool for its time because it ran so smoothly.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Still have my 3DO. Havent used in in forever. Road rash was fun. The OG Need for Speed was ok, army men was fun. Waste of $$$ tho. Spent soooo much on it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I remember looking at the expensive consoles like the 3DO and the CDi way back when in Service Merchandise and sort of being in awe at their ridiculous size in comparison to the other consoles. Of course, the aforementioned consoles were arguably failures, so it's not like I was missing out. Another somewhat rare one is that my cousin had a... I think it was the Atari Jaguar? For some reason I'm thinking it was a Turbo Grafx system, but an image search isn't ringing any bells.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I remember looking at the expensive consoles like the 3DO and the CDi way back when in Service Merchandise and sort of being in awe at their ridiculous size in comparison to the other consoles. Of course, the aforementioned consoles were arguably failures, so it's not like I was missing out. Another somewhat rare one is that my cousin had a... I think it was the Atari Jaguar? For some reason I'm thinking it was a Turbo Grafx system, but an image search isn't ringing any bells.
I still have my Jaguar. I felt compelled to buy it because at the time of it's pre-release I bought 100 shares of atari stock at $1 a share and when they announced the Jaguar the stock shot up to $120 a share. But, I knew it would fail so I sold all the stock at $100 a share and made some $$$ so I plopped down for a Jaguar. Of course it sucked and Atari went bankrupt immediately after but hey, good times.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Jag and JagCD ("the Toilet"), had some really great games, most of them from Jeff Minter. Tempest2000 was just awesomely amazing. I don't know if I ever got to play defender2000.

Another good one was Highlander, very much in the same vein as Alone In the Dark, or at least, the engine appeared to be similar.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

TurboGrafx flopped here but it was very successful in Japan where it was called the PC Engine. It's supposed to be an amazing console if you like shooters. Crazy that Japan had a console with 16-bit graphics in 1987 back when we were still early in the NES gen here. Looks like a pretty awesome library in this video I found, though it has the PC Engine CD games too. And strangely enough doesn't include Castlevania Rondo of Blood.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Snatcher by Konami was an excellent choose-your-own path "Cyberpunk" adventure game, with some futurist overtones, and some actions sequences. It was Konami Justifier (their light-gun) compatible.

Really, one of the best games for the platform, IMHO.

They also had some good versions of Shadow of the Beast and Shadow of the Beast 2.

I'm def going to have to play Snatcher, looks really cool in that PC Engine video I posted above. Do you have to play it with a light gun though? Don't really have a good CRT to play on.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Nah Snatcher is not a light gun game.

Turbo Graphix had a ton of good games. I never had the CD addon but that also has some great games.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski