Averting an HDHR' Crisis that could occur after so many years . . .

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Yes, I'm running my HDTV 24/7/365. The TV is always on; sometimes I make the screen go dark to save energy and "wear and tear." It's been at least five years since I purchased the HDTV, so if it keeps on keepin-on as it is now, maybe it will be replaced in another 2, 3 . . . howsoever-many years.

So I'm watching the CNN news HD channel at 5AM. Suddenly the picture freezes. I switch to MSNBC, thinking if I switch back, the problem will go away. No cigar -- no MSNBC.

Check the LED lights on the HDHR' to discover -- "It's not turned on!" But it was, and it should be. If the HDHR' had burned out, price at the Egg for a new one has moved back toward the expected price a few years back.

It dawned on me it could be the power-brick that came with the HDHR', so I swapped the power input from my other (second) HDHR'.

Power-Brick! That was the problem!

Did a web-search. Silly-Dust SAYS somewhere that they sell a replacement, but there's no accessory list at their store. The poster noted the precise specs for any replacement, but essentially 5V 2.5A and a 2.1mm plug to fit the device.

Up pops some options at the Amazon. Customer Reviews tout using a D-Link router or switch brick for the HDHR'. $8 price-tag. I punched the one-click-order button. Then, remembered I had this Centronics/Parallel-to-Ethernet converter device from D-Link that never worked properly, and which I'd luckily failed to throw away. 5V, 2.5A, 2.1mm plug.

It Verks! It Verks! Just in time to cancel the one-click at Amazon, too . . .

Moral of the story: Don't freakin' panic which the lights no longer glow on your HDHR'.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
You and me both! I have a tub of cables that weighs in at over 50lbs. It has cables of ever description in it. All in ziplock bags, stacked in one of those huge Rubbermaid tubs. I even have a selection of 6-7 different length Parallel cables that date back to the early 90'.

You never know what you might need.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I trust you thanked the posted for saving you $8....

(You should see my E-Pile... I have 2 plastic tubs full of good parts from broken stuff.)

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
You and me both! I have a tub of cables that weighs in at over 50lbs. It has cables of ever description in it. All in ziplock bags, stacked in one of those huge Rubbermaid tubs. I even have a selection of 6-7 different length Parallel cables that date back to the early 90'.

You never know what you might need.

I discipline my inventory, in four tubs weighing 50lbs. each.

For instance, if I had 20 ULTRA-IDE 18" cables, I'd only need to keep three or four, given the number of interfaces for devices requiring it (obviously -- hard disks).

If I had a hundred SATA cables, I'd get rid of everything with the cheapest plugs and shortest length unless I thought I'd ever have a need for a short one. And then, I'd trim that inventory by a percentage equal to the sum of all my SATA devices + N -- with N a margin you'd want of very-best cables to use in the next computer build -- expecting to receive more SATA cables with the motherboard.

It goes on. But I can't freakin believe that this D-Link AC adapter was in the one tub sitting by itself and unstacked, which I could just flip open to find this brick and wire sitting right on top.

Should I go back to church? Or just say a prayer of thanks? Maybe the $7 saving is still worth the trouble to do that.