Autos - ** Integra smokes a Mustang **

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MissingLinc

Dec 30, 2000
Hey Lupin... that guy was trying pretty damn hard and we both dropped the hammer pretty evenly. I have no problem with the 4-cyl VTECs. The 6-cyl VTECs are more of a challenge and I would have to count on the driver sleeping at the light to get ahead. Not that I have to race everyone at the light... though I am heavy-footed. :D

Unfortunately for the rice driver, the VTEC was nothing more than the 'little engine that could not'... I bet he could not understand why a VW could beat a mod'd VTEC, after all he had the big exhaust tip and some stickers! I bet he puts bigger stickers on now for more HP.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
MissingLinc: FINALLY! Someone on these forums who knows about VW's sleeper cars! I have a '00 passat with the 1.8T engine, and it's plenty plenty fast. The VR6 is faster, and i'm sure it could hang with a type R, which isn't notorious for being a drag racing machine.

Lupin: What golf do you drive?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You want sleeper? Try a VW GTI w/ the VR6. Most people write it off as an econobox clunker. Boy are they ever wrong :)

MissingLinc

Dec 30, 2000
That 1.8T can be a sleeper too!!! Get a Garrett chip from Air Water Enterprises and you WILL be amazed (thanks to the scalability of the turbo). Lim Garrett is a real wizard when it comes to reprogramming the European cars and is very popular in the Passat list. He doe sa lot of development work at AWE, using their dyno. Garrett was also the first tuner to break the Drive-by-wire 'barrier' found in newer VAG cars (incl. the '00 1.8T New Beetles and your '00 Passat). There are several levels of performance from the 1.8T chips, depending on what you want to do. With a new turbo there are some guys out there with 220+HP 1.8T's!

BTW, my V-6 is not considered a VR6... way different model (actually an Audi motor) with stock 190HP @/206ft-lbs @ only 3200RPM (pulls hard much sooner than any rice motor!!!) and stays quite flat thanks to the awesome breathing (5 valves/cyl, variable valve timing, variable intake geometry, & hemi heads). I could not leave it alone so I chipped it, thanks to Garrett, to 200HP and 216ft-lbs (the torque seems to peak lower and stay flatter). I also changed the air filter to an ITG. Side note: My Passat still blew away a friend's 4-cyl VTEC Integra before I even chipped it.

Here's more if you are interested.

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999

<< MissingLinc: FINALLY! Someone on these forums who knows about VW's sleeper cars! I have a '00 passat with the 1.8T engine, and it's plenty plenty fast. The VR6 is faster, and i'm sure it could hang with a type R, which isn't notorious for being a drag racing machine.

Lupin: What golf do you drive?
>>

JohnnyGURU knows a hella lot about VWs.

Valhalla1

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999

<< That Type-R doesn't sound stock. >>

no, it didn't sound stock. it sounded like SHlT!!

nateholtrop

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Get a firebird to race a integra then we will see who has the biggest balls of em all..

just cant beat american pony cars yo!

Nate

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Hey, what about Impala SS's?
1996 specifically....
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
6.9 0 to 60, 15.1 1.4 mile, 260hp, 330lb/f, 4000lb's!!!

*drool* :D

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< ya really put an modded acura against a 80-2002 vette and watch that rice get eaten likes its dinner time in china. >>

I thought rice cars were Japanese? Since when did China manufacture automobiles, we've only got bicycles. ;)

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
Can we pit that integra against my friends Chevelle.

10.02 @134.97 1/4 mile.

He has gone a bit faster than that, I just remember the numbers.

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
VWs are fast. I'm not a big fan of Hondas, but I do respect the Type R, and a Passat V6 is not going to beat an Integra Type R. Both acceleration and handling.

Let's see if johnnyGuru can confirms this.

BTW, I drive a '91 GTI. It's not a racer, but it's a lot of fun.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Ack! Me no like rice rockets! Hold some respect for those who do engine mods and stuff, but people slapping on exhausts, intakes, spoilers, stickers, and expecting their car to make the jump from stock to high-performance racer need to get slapped upside the head. In the process of building up an AC Cobra right now (sorry, no 427 just a 302) but when it's done it'll eat them rice rockets for breakfast!

Just remember, stickers don't make you fast. They just make you look good going slow.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< drag cars are supposed to rumble and growl, not WHINE and BUZZ like pissed off bumble bees >>

LOL, if you say so. Tell that to the people running sub 9 second 1/4s with 4cyls... There's plenty of them out there

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Triumph

Motortrend gives a Type-R 6.2 seconds for 0-60 and I think 14.8 for 1/4 mile.

Nessoldaccount

Jun 4, 2000
Skoorb is correct, although many have claimed 14.5 1/4 mile times stock. Aftermarket I/H/E (intake, header, exhaust) can get you to the very low 14/high 13 which is hanging with Mustang GT / Camaro Z28

Layzie

Feb 2, 2000
Of course you must all know that that Type-R is heavily modded because there is another video of it beating a Camaro, c'mon a stock Type-R beating a stock Camaro, even if it was a V6 it still runs well in the mid 14's Type-R Vs. Camaro

But i can tell you that Ive raced a Type-R, and in guess what? Yup a 5.0, first race i took him by a well 4 cars (he was just learning to drive stick), but know that he's more experinced i can take him by a well 2 cars.

Its obvius that it isnt stock.