Autonomous Cars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
When I reach 110 years old, then I'll consider a self driving car. This will give the auto makers another 55 years to improve on their technology. Plus, by then I won't care if I live or die.

Reactions: Zeze

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
When I reach 110 years old, then I'll consider a self driving car. This will give the auto makers another 55 years to improve on their technology. Plus, by then I won't care if I live or die.
Yea, the problem isn't autonomous cars. They're infinitely smarter and quicker than us.

The problem is the transition where the automated cars have to drive together with human drivers.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004

What you're talking about is already fully available - riding taxi or uber. Why do people still own cars today then? Autonomous driving has nothing to do with it.

primarily cost

if you don't have to pay a driver, it makes it much more affordable

also convenience. you can have a couple cars constantly sitting outside an apartment block or a store ready the moment you are

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I see, but you underestimate how filthy people are.

These fully automated cars even without a DRIVER would be in absolute filthy state. Manned taxis alone are nasty.
This! Any driverless car thats picking you up when you're drunk to take you home has probably already been picking up drunk people all evening. I don't want to ride in that!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Yea, the problem isn't autonomous cars. They're infinitely smarter and quicker than us.

The problem is the transition where the automated cars have to drive together with human drivers.

They will eventually handle human drivers trying to kill us better than we can.
Not at first, but they will improve to the point where they can.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I am pretty ambivalent towards this tech. Aside from long haul trucking (maybe) autonomous vehicles don't really solve any problems. There will still be stupid amounts of traffic. It is a giant waste of resources IMO. Instead of all this investment in autonomous vehicles, how about they figure out how to make mass transit not suck. That would actually be useful.

Reactions: Mr.IncrediblyBored

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
I strongly disagree. Because people like owning stuff & having their own personal space.

What you're talking about is already fully available - riding taxi or uber. Why do people still own cars today then? Autonomous driving has nothing to do with it.

Because of the price. Renting an uber is expensive compared to driving your own car.

Cutting out the driver would reduce the cost of a taxi by 50%. Maybe more, depending on how well Uber drivers are paid.

Do you think things like iTunes, Netflix and Amazon Prime decreased the sales of Blu Ray discs? Most definitely. Why pay an expensive ownership cost when you can rent?

There will not be a reason for anyone to own an entry level car anymore. Just taxi around. The only people who will buy cars are collectors and those who require extra features such as performance or luxury. For the vast majority of humans, owning a car will be pointless because automation will vastly reduce the cost of taxis.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Cutting out the driver would reduce the cost of a taxi by 50%. Maybe more, depending on how well Uber drivers are paid.

For the vast majority of humans, owning a car will be pointless because automation will vastly reduce the cost of taxis.

That prediction is counter intuitive. Price never goes down.Rather, tech increases profit margins and shareholder values/dividends.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
That prediction is counter intuitive. Price never goes down.Rather, tech increases profit margins and shareholder values/dividends.

Incorrect. Light bulbs are a great example. When they were first made, they required specialized labour and were VERY expensive. Believe it or not.

Automobiles were another thing - why do you think Henry Ford is famous? His production line greatly decreased the manufacturing costs of automobiles so that more people could afford them.

What about cellular telephones? They are MUCH cheaper - and so is the data to operate them. Years ago, phones with a camera were high end and expensive. These days, phones start having cameras at the low end. Only the most basic phones do not have cameras.

Gaming consoles are much cheaper than they used to be when factoring in inflation.

Whatever technology innovation you can think of, I guarantee it has got cheaper to make over time.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I beg to differ. Older and simpler technology tends to get less and less expensive but the new technology creates high end products and get more expensive. You mention cell phones with cameras. Lets look the first camera phone in the USA, the Sanyo SCP-5300. Cost $400 in 2002 which has the same buying power today as $546.54. What's the cost of the top end camera phone today ? What about the Iphone X ? $1000.
Walmart has the Samsung S8, 64 GB, 12 MP camera, $729.95 - $749.99 .
New technology starts off expensive and not working well and over time that same tech works much better and becomes a less expensive standard, like the modern cell with camera, but at the low end. New tech starts out way more expensive and creates a new high end . Which fits with what I say about driver-less taxis.Get ready to shell out.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I beg to differ. Older and simpler technology tends to get less and less expensive but the high end products get more expensive. You mention cell phones with cameras. Lets look the first camera phone in the USA, the Sanyo SCP-5300. Cost $400 in 2002 which has the same buying power today as $546.54. What's the cost of the top end camera phone today ? What about the Iphone X ? $1000.
Walmart has the Samsung S8, 64 GB, 12 MP camera, $729.95 - $749.99 .
New technology starts off expensive and not working well and over time that same tech works much better and becomes a less expensive standard, like the modern cell with camera, but at the low end. New tech starts out way more expensive and creates a new high end . Which fits with what I say about driver-less taxis.Get ready to shell out.

1983 called.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_DynaTAC

Last edited:
Reactions: deustroop