Automotive GPS reviews or recomendations?

Archman

Apr 25, 2002
Hi,

I wasn't sure where to post this one, but I was looking for a good site that reviewed automotive GPS and possibly hearing some stories or reviews from people.

Thank you.

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
I've got a Garmin GPSMap 60...It's not the color one. I got that, a car antenna (helps x100) and a car mounting kit, and it's awesome. A little small, but I can pick it up and use it for caching and hiking while I'm out, so it's sweet. I would recommend the color, though.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Two recommendations:

1. Stay away from PDA-based GPS systems

2. Garmin Nuvi 350, 360, and 660 are good

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
CNet (of all places) has decent Automotive GPS reviews.

I like the Garmin StreetPilot line myself, since they're reasonably priced and are easy to use. My parents have an i3, I have the c330, and my sister has the Nuvi 360. Everyone likes them.

Archman

Apr 25, 2002
I was looking for a good one that can also be used for hiking as well... or something that could plug into a laptop while driving... mostly for off-roading in my new rover (well, new to me anyways).

HyTekJosh

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2001
http://gpspassion.com/

I have a old dell axim and bluetooth gps setup. A few years ago when I got it, it was great. Now when its time for my next GPS its probably going to be an all-in-one Tomtom.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Archman
I was looking for a good one that can also be used for hiking as well... or something that could plug into a laptop while driving... mostly for off-roading in my new rover (well, new to me anyways).

You don't want to be looking at a laptop in the passenger seat while you're driving. Trust me, I've tried it before. Get something that can stick on the dash, so you can keep your eyes on the road.