automating/macros in windows?

edmicman

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
I remember a long time ago (maybe win3.1?) there was a sort of macro program in windows where you could automate opening, closing programs, etc. You'd hit record, go about the motions of whatever you wanted to do, and it would save those to a sort of macro where you could run it later. Is there still something like that for win98 or 2000? I've got a friend that wants to automate a report generation process and something like this is what he's looking for. If its not built in, is there some freeware utility out there that does the same sort of thing? Ideally I don't want something where I have to write a script in a pseudo-code, but more something where he can "show" it what he wants it to do. Does any of this make any sense? :) Thanks for any input!

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
You need to write WSCRIPT, or Windows Script. Only problem is, there isn't a macro recorder for wscript.

edmicman

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
hmmmm so is there anything out there then that can just record basic windows movements/commands and stuff?

andrey

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The program which you're talking about is called Recorder. Although it was originally designed for Windows 3.11, it still will work fine on Win9x (Windows 95, 98, Me), but unfortunately not on Windows 2000 or XP. If your friend is using Win9x, let me know and I can email you the Recorder.exe which will help him with macros.