Automatic Or Manual

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
My parents have always owned manuals and since I got their old car its a manual. I don't mind traffic in it and its a hoot when you're driving aggressively so its all good.

Currently:
1991 Accord - mine
2000 Camry & '89 Toyota PU - parents'

BTW: I hate the tranny/shifter in the Camry. It feels like crap.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
manual all the way. ive done it in traffic and its only slightly more annoyoing

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Some auto trannies are crap. Some (GM 4L60E comes to mind) are very reliable and almost as fast as the equivelant manual.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: alocurto
I drive a manual and don't have too much trouble in traffic. I leave a buffer and roll in 1st. It works well until the people in the lane next to me think that the opening is a way to get out of the traffic quicker.... they are really smart.

What he said. When I get stuck in heavy traffic like that, I try to give myself a good opening in front so I don't have to keep braking or shifting. Of course there's always someone who has to get in my opening and cock-block me. :(

On a related note, why does it always seem like my lane is the slowest one while every other lane around me is going faster? :D

wasssup

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
heh, story time:

i bought a 5-speed 2003 civic and traded it in for an auto 5 days later. Long story short, it was my 'learning' car and obviously I had trouble driving in traffic/going uphill, and my dad hates manuals (we were financing it at 1.9% with his credit, but I was paying) but in the end he wanted an auto so badly he basically forced me to trade it in with 300 miles on the odometer (290 of those was him driving, he wouldn't let me practice because he thought the dealer would give him all his money back, and now he pays for it).

anyway, a few weeks later I hooked up with this girl from one of my classes, and she had manual, so she taught me how to drive and now i want one :|

Someone please total my '03 civic sedan so I can at least go out and buy a used 5-speed with my own loot :)

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: wasssup
heh, story time:

i bought a 5-speed 2003 civic and traded it in for an auto 5 days later. Long story short, it was my 'learning' car and obviously I had trouble driving in traffic/going uphill, and my dad hates manuals (we were financing it at 1.9% with his credit, but I was paying) but in the end he wanted an auto so badly he basically forced me to trade it in with 300 miles on the odometer (290 of those was him driving, he wouldn't let me practice because he thought the dealer would give him all his money back, and now he pays for it).

anyway, a few weeks later I hooked up with this girl from one of my classes, and she had manual, so she taught me how to drive and now i want one :|

Someone please total my '03 civic sedan so I can at least go out and buy a used 5-speed with my own loot :)

1. Find busy intersection
2. Run red light
3. Get T-boned by person entering intersection on green
4. Sue them
5. Profit
6. Buy new car

:D

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have a 6-speed manual 350Z, and I couldn't imagine it being automatic. I bought the car to have fun driving, so *I* want to do th driving. I also have a '98 Honda Accord V6 EX Coupe, and it's an automatic. The Honda is a good car, but it's not exactly a fun car.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
manual all the way... it was very easy to learn, when i was 11. my uncle thought it to me because he couldnt find an automatic car to teach me :D and u know, it's one of those things that gets lotsa attention when you hold a lady's hand while driving and it's a stick ;)

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
Honda Prelude with a 5-speed manual. Love the gearing on my car :D

Drove my friend's 5-speed Saturn SL-1 a couple of times, and I hate the grearing on it. With my Honda, when I put the pedel down, she goes! Marked acceleration decrease around 4500 RPM. With the Satrurn it's closer to 3200 before the car's practically screaming at me to upshift.

Only time I regret manual is in heavy traffic (god, traffic jams SUCK in a car like that) and when visting a friend. The reason for the latter is that between his place and the highway I have to come down is a street with 14 stopsigns over a mile or less distance. Practically every block has its own sign! (*shift-1st-2nd-1st, come to rolling stop at sign, repeat* ARGH!)

-- Jack

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Daily driver is a manual, fair weather fun car is an automatic. Probably the opposite of everyone else :D

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Auto for me and my truck which is what I'd prefer. Stick can be fun in certain situations and you do get used to it on daily driving, but I'd personally just as soon not have to deal with it on my daily commute if I don't have to; there's no need to look for thrills there and it becomes just one more minor thing you have to deal with in heavy traffic. My older Sentra and my wife's Accord are autos too. For functional vehicles like most family sedans, trucks, etc I'll probably always get an auto just for practicality in everyday driving. If I ever have spare cash where I can plunk down money for a 'fun' vehicle then I'll probably get a stick.

incallisto

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

In traffic however, it is not the most user-friendly:|

Please explain the reasoning there? I have never had a problem driving a manual in traffic. I find it more fun because traffic is boring. Nothing interesting ever happens in traffic. *shrugs*

BTW, I prefer a manual transmission. It adds to the driving experience and allows you to push start you car when necessary ;)

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Descartes
I have a 6-speed manual 350Z, and I couldn't imagine it being automatic. I bought the car to have fun driving, so *I* want to do th driving. I also have a '98 Honda Accord V6 EX Coupe, and it's an automatic. The Honda is a good car, but it's not exactly a fun car.

Have you heard of/experienced the tranny problem yet? I just had my tranny replaced on my G35C and the difference is night and day...I must have gotten a dud the first time around.

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Both but will probably get rid of the manual within the next year. I drive over 20K miles in the auto and less than 5K in the manual. Too much of a pain especially in Boston traffic. Plus with a good auto you can get amazing performance. Before any bench mechanics jump in and spout off on how manuals are superior in every which way, go test drive a BMW X5 4.6is with upgraded 5 speed Steptronics and the BMW 745i with 6 speed Steptronics. Even in full auto, they both let you hold at redline depending on how you modulate the gas pedal. Welcome to the 21st century. The whole "you have more control" thing is overrated. If everyone had that attitude, we'd still be churning our own butter and washing our clothes over a washboard.

Remember a manual transmission is not an extension of your manhood.

Windogg

JYDog

Feb 17, 2003
Overall I prefer manual.

A good manual box is almost like driving an automatic and a good autmatic feels alot like a manual...