Auto patcher for games

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Anyone ever try this? It's a pretty handy auto patcher.

http://www.gameshadow.com/

Is there any other software that does this? That will keep all your games up to date, old and new?

I heard http://www.xfire.com offers auto patching as well? Not to mention is also a multiplayer server browser like GameSpy Arcade.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
My Steam games auto-patch themselves. For the most part, the only games I do play are on Steam anyway.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
With Steam when it comes to games you don't buy off it, you can't add ones that don't have a cd key or a cd key in the format steam accepts.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well not everyone uses steam and some like to own there game on a disc. Also some people still get older games and play them.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Crow550
Well not everyone uses steam and some like to own there game on a disc. Also some people still get older games and play them.

Steam does have a lot of old games on it now, and it's easier to find them than hunting down in a store.
Some old games I own on steam are Doom 2, Doom 1, all the Unreal games, and the original halflife and sin. They have more than that though.
Only problem is it basically requires you to have always on broadband. Hasn't been a problem for me, except my school's Internet barely qualifies as broadband. 30KB/s :(

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Fox5

Steam does have a lot of old games on it now, and it's easier to find them than hunting down in a store.
Some old games I own on steam are Doom 2, Doom 1, all the Unreal games, and the original halflife and sin. They have more than that though.
Only problem is it basically requires you to have always on broadband. Hasn't been a problem for me, except my school's Internet barely qualifies as broadband. 30KB/s :(

I got 4.5 MB/s once over my school's connection, you just have to do it at night. :D

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well for those who own a bunch of games and don't use steam. Game shadow can make patching a breeze.

I own allot of old school and newer games on disc (non steam) and this program is quite handy and when you run the program it does have banner ads on it, don't go........Oh no it's spyware! It's not. Download.com has tested it. I ran various spyware programs on it.

It's free and fast and the ads help pay for it. It's really cool, if you don't buy every game on steam, check it out.

I just install a bunch of games then run it and get em all patched and done.

I prefer to buy games on physical media. I enjoy the box art and such and not having to wait to download it. That's just me.

Anyways the topic is auto game patchers and Steam does kick ass in that regard.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: videogames101
Originally posted by: Fox5

I got 4.5 MB/s once over my school's connection, you just have to do it at night. :D

I get 150KB/s at night :(

Sucks too because freshman year I could get 10MB/s by using an antenna mounted in my window to rebroadcast the wireless signal from the unused (at night) academic buildings.

The autopatcher program might be nice, how good is it at getting patches for more obscure games?

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
i dont use steeam much but I dont want another program runn9ing in background eating up resources.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Pick a letter or # and then click files on the game you pick and look under patches and see for yourself: http://www.gameshadow.com/gamepedia/patches.php

It's free and all you have to do is make an account, you just enter your e-mail and make a password. I haven't got spammed, so far so good.

Too bad it doesn't fix those few games that need tweaking to run on Vista like Max Payne.

You can load the program whenever you feel to check for new patches.