Auto Insurance

chibichanman

Sep 6, 2006
I figured if I post this here, I can get more possible responses.

Currently on an insurance plan with a family member, so I get a cheaper rate since I'm on his plan. I'm 22, he's 33.

My question is, is getting my own insurance now worth the history building to get an even cheaper rate when I hit 25?

Or is it not worth it and wait to get my own insurance at 25?

Cliffs:
91 Tercel, no points on license, CA, driving since 17.

- 22, on family member's plan, cheap rate.
- get my own now, build history, get cheap(er) rate for myself @25?
- get it at 25?

Thanks!

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Your best bet would to be to call around and get quotes. We don't know your location, driving history, vehicle, etc.

chibichanman

Sep 6, 2006
So call around get quotes and have them hypothetically input information as if I've had my own insurance for 3 years and I'm 25?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: chibichanman
So call around get quotes and have them hypothetically input information as if I've had my own insurance for 3 years and I'm 25?
No. Get quotes for your current situation to see what your rate would be. You could always ask what kind of discount you would receive once you turn 25. They will be straight forward with you as they want your business.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Can you be on the same insurance policy if you don't live at the same address? If not, then when you move out would be a good time to get your own insurance. Other than that, no reason to switch if it's going to cost you more.

chibichanman

Sep 6, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs
Can you be on the same insurance policy if you don't live at the same address? If not, then when you move out would be a good time to get your own insurance. Other than that, no reason to switch if it's going to cost you more.

Can be on same insurance policy. Going to take minendo's advice and go that route for now.

Anyone else have input or experience? :)

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Check out progressive, I had it at about that age on my own and it was very competitive.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Your driving history will be your history irrespective of the deal under which you buy your insurance. You're probably saving money being on the same plan with him and there's no advantage to getting your own deal unless he has a lot of claims/points.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
I believe only the actual owner of the car can insure it. Is the car in the relatives name or yours? To get insurance in your name the car would have to be titled and licensed in your name also. In many states you have to have proof of insurance to apply for license plates.

Jim