Auto Experts: Freakin' Back windshield broken!

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Of course, the only time I park in the lot that has the greatest chance for damage, my back windshield is shattered by a home run. Came back from golf practice, saw glass everywhere on the ground, looked up, bottom right corner was hit. You can see where the ball hit the window. 6 inches to the right, it would have been on the body (I dunno what would be better, body damage or window). Two parking spots over, I would have been OK.

Back window completely shattered. Most of it is still intact, just cracked everywhere. Have to have it replaced. Called around, estimated price around $350, though one place was smoking something and quoted me 7 bills.

One place was cool, and they said just to go to a junkyard and get a replacement, and they'll put it in.

I hope the baseball team gets smoked this Saturday by Chapman U.

How hard is it to do it yourself? hehe.

Fingers

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
as it seems like you don't have much experience working on cars I would just let someone else do it. you wouldn't want to find out the hard way that it wasn't sealed good when it rained next.

warcleric

Banned
May 31, 2000
not easy, and dont try pulling one yourself either at the junkyard, you will probably break it. I am surprised you dont have a mobile glass company that will come out and do it cheap onsite. Where do you live and what kind of car is it?

UN1Xnut

Oct 9, 1999
I do tons of automotive work myself. Suspension, engine rebuilds, etc. It says a lot when I leave glass and body work to somebody else.

Have a pro shop do all the work. Finding a junk yard one is generally a good idea. Make sure they have a large shop and are not just a small job that does it in your driveway.

-nut

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
A classmate of mine used to work at a glass shop.

You get yourself some bigass heavy duty gloves. He was carrying a windshield before it was coated with the sealant to keep the broken pieces together if it ever breaks. The guy he was carrying it with slipped and sent it sliding down his forearm. He's got a 10" scar.

I know nothing of putting it into the car, but I'm guessing that tools needed would be pretty damn expensive for a home-owner instead of a business-owner.

Good luck.

Ghetto boys tell me dat ain't nothin' y'all cain't do wit out no duct tape, know wut I sayin' biatch?

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I'm out in LA/OC in So Cal. I'll be in the Huntington Beach area this weekend, and in Whittier during the week.

I called around, and many places will come out to you and do it. The problem is that it costs so freakin expensive. I have a 94 Dodge Caravan (its a shaggin' wagon..chicks dig it!), and the back window has the defroster and windshield wipers, including a tint. Roughly about 375 from all the places I called.

I called a friend of mine who works at an auto body shop, and he offered to take a look at it. I called him since one of the places told me to go to a junk yard and to see if I needed some tools to do it myself, since I'd never been to a junk yard before. Hey, now I can get that side molding that's been missing for about a year on my door!

Hopefully, he can help me out.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
It's a 94 and you don't have full coverage!?! There's usually not even a deductible on glass coverage. Call your insurance agent or company. Then you don?t need to worry about price, just finding the best workmanship.

P.S. If it sounds plausible, tell them that molding must fallen off when the window broke, and your insurance might just pay for that too.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Called a bunch of places around, and found a place that will come to my house and install a new, factory glass for just under 200.

This is WAY below some of the pot smokers who had been quoting me upwards of 700.

I also called around to see if I could buy the part and take it into the shop for them to put it in. Some auto wrecking yards were quoting about 200-300 bux. HAHAHAHHHA! Yeah, right!

Thanks for the help.