Australian serial killer!

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
why spend all that money killing those camels? article doesnt mention why those camels are being killed

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
Originally posted by: Aharami
why spend all that money killing those camels? article doesnt mention why those camels are being killed

camels are considered a pest

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I am now against the camel cull only because Erin Burnett is so hot.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Sea Moose
Originally posted by: Aharami

camels are considered a pest

Hmm, from that:

"The ancestors of Australian feral camels were dromedary camels imported to provide transport through inland Australia, which their feral descendants have since made their domain. While they do not appear to be destructive like other introduced herbivores, their increasing numbers may affect native vegetation, and feral camels have become minor agricultural pests."

Doesn't seem like it's that big an issue. *continues reading*

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Originally posted by: KB
I am now against the camel cull only because Erin Burnett is so hot.

I have learned to keep my mouth shut about killin' animals, lest the thread turn into a shitstorm.

Agreed that Erin Burnett is hella hot.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Degradation of the environment occurs when densities exceed two animals per km2, which is presently the case throughout much of their range in the Northern Territory where they are confined to two main regions: the Simpson Desert and fringing pastoral properties, and the western desert area comprised of the Central Ranges, Great Sandy Desert and Tanami Desert. Some traditional food plants harvested by Aboriginal people in these areas are seriously affected by camel browsing.[1]

[edit] Effect on infrastructure

The effects on built infrastructure may be severe, as camels may sometimes destroy taps, pumps and even toilets as a means to obtain water, particularly in times of severe drought. They also damage stock fences and cattle watering points. These effects are felt particularly in Aboriginal and other remote communities where the costs of repairs is prohibitive.

The real missing piece of information is if the current population was actually causing these problems....

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I wish she would show the same passion for the millions of starving children in Africa. Oh wait, they're not soft and furry.

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
I wish she would show the same passion for the millions of starving children in Africa. Oh wait, they're not soft and furry.

unless you put easter bunny ears on the starving children?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: illusion88
Degradation of the environment occurs when densities exceed two animals per km2, which is presently the case throughout much of their range in the Northern Territory where they are confined to two main regions: the Simpson Desert and fringing pastoral properties, and the western desert area comprised of the Central Ranges, Great Sandy Desert and Tanami Desert. Some traditional food plants harvested by Aboriginal people in these areas are seriously affected by camel browsing.[1]

[edit] Effect on infrastructure

The effects on built infrastructure may be severe, as camels may sometimes destroy taps, pumps and even toilets as a means to obtain water, particularly in times of severe drought. They also damage stock fences and cattle watering points. These effects are felt particularly in Aboriginal and other remote communities where the costs of repairs is prohibitive.

The real missing piece of information is if the current population was actually causing these problems....

Translation of quoted text: Camels compete with domestic sheep so camels need to die. Sort of like shooting buffalo that stray outside of Yellowstone. Buffalo compete with cattle so buffalo die.