Aus wants the F-22, Gates no objections

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
the F-35 is the better choice for Australia, more economical to buy, more economical to run, better range, has far better ground attack capabilities and still eats Sukhoi's for breakfast, lunch and dinner

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
well, does Australia really have any enemies? perhaps for US air force bases in the region, but i can't think of any enemies that Australia has.

let's see if anyone know where this is from:

"And in other news, the bridge to Las Venturas is still broken. The Governor has threatened to bomb Australia, despite scientific evidence, that it wasn't their fault."

No, No, silly. The fighters are to keep the population on the island.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
well, does Australia really have any enemies? perhaps for US air force bases in the region, but i can't think of any enemies that Australia has.

Australia (along with Japan and S. Korea) are strategic US partners in the Pacific region in keeping China in check.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Queasy

Australia (along with Japan and S. Korea) are strategic US partners in the Pacific region in keeping China in check.

And why do we need to keep China in check?
Oh, that's right, we are shipping them the American economy for cheap Walmart goods.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: techs

Oh, that's right, we are shipping them the American economy for cheap Walmart goods.

well, China is quickly becoming a economic powerhouse that has major influence on the US economy, but saying that we need to keep them in check is far-fetched.

North Korea would pose a lethal threat to the pacific with nukes, and Russia appears to be slowly reverting back into USSR every day under Putin.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: techs

Taiwan

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: dug777
We're a staunch ally of the US, right next door to some relatively heavyweight, and 'heavyweight-to-be' players, with a history of political instability, who aren't necessarily the greatest fans of either Australia or the US...

Since when did New Zealand count as a heavyweight-to-be? :D

I kid I kid

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Australia is one of the few countries that exist that the US has never really had any transgressions with. I don't think they've ever been out to start crap with their neighbors, their boundaries are defined 100% by water, so there's no disputes there. The last time they really had to go at it in a major war was WW2 against the Japanese, but then everyone that could throw a stone in the Pacific Ocean was. I'd say sell them some and take in some economy of scale benefits.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Jugernot
We're a staunch ally of the US, right next door to some relatively heavyweight, and 'heavyweight-to-be' players, with a history of political instability, who aren't necessarily the greatest fans of either Australia or the US...

Since when did New Zealand count as a heavyweight-to-be? :D

I kid I kid

You're about 20 posts too late.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: tynopik
the F-35 is the better choice for Australia, more economical to buy, more economical to run, better range, has far better ground attack capabilities and still eats Sukhoi's for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Win. The F22 would be fine if money was no object, but the Aussies should make more efficient usage of their budget.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Wouldn't Crocodile Dundee's big ass bowie knife neutralize the Sukhois and MIG threats?

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002

QFT, a lot of people don't think about it cause you guys are on the other side of the world but it seems you guys are there usually whenever we go "in".