reorganization, not a good sign
i like there products and
driver support.
looks like creative could be the king
for audio soon

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
Im surprised anyone uses audio cards besides sblives for home computers; excluding audiophiles.

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
Red Dawn,

You assume too much :D I never said I was a supporter of Creative, just pointing out that SBlive has flooded the market so much that its hard to imagine other sound cards even out there. I am sad to see Aureal be in this jam because I like em myself.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
Aureal's cards put the smack down every which way on Creative Lab's SB Live craporama. It's unfortunate that they have no marketing skills.

For my new PC, I think I'm going to keep my old Aureal Vortex 2, because it's the best card around. Had Aureal been able to stay in business, you'd see two new cards on the market right now: The Aureal Vortex 3, and some kind of sequel to this SB Live junk. With no competition, Creative Labs can continue to make millions off SB Live for years to come, as they did with previous Sound Blaster cards.

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
The technology may be better with Aureal cards. It also costs game developers more money to design games for it. What's the point of having that card if games don't take advantage of it.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
chipbgt, why is it so surprising?

I mean, the SQ2500 IS a better card for all the features it has (and the ones the SBLive! doesn't) plus it's better for gaming.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
The technology may be better with Aureal cards. It also costs game developers more money to design games for it. What's the point of having that card if games don't take advantage of it.

That's bullsh|t. It costs game developers more money to put real 3d graphics in a game too, but you don't see them using the Build engine anymore. Considering, that until a few months ago there were a lot more A3D titles than DS3D titles, I doubt that A3D was that hard to implement. All the major 3D engines, like Quake3, Unreal, Shogo 1/2, etc. have always had support for A3D, long before any of them bothered to implement DS3D (if they did at all).

SB Live won because of the stranglehold CL has on OEMs. Aureal is an American company. It's sad to see domestic computer makers such as Dell and Gateway sell out to foreign companies such as CL that make inferior products :(

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
They may have crappy drivers. It seems that you don't see nearly as many threads of problems with SBlive series. I think when it comes to compatability. CL has the edge.

lordneo99

Jul 17, 2000
i have never had prob with there drivers.
heck they even have win 2 k drivers...
"cough" HP

Kilgor

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It really upsets me that Aureal is going out of business. CL was basically stagnate as far a sound card technology is concerned until Aureal appeared on the scene. They will probably go back to doing the same, now that the main competition is gone.

Chad

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Am I crazy (don't answer that) or do I remember something about one of the consoles (maybe PS2) buying the A3D 3 for their system?

Man, I really dig A3D. I agree with Red Dawn all the way.