[August UPDATE] I need your wisdom ATOT: my client wants to convert me into the full time hire.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Dude. Get more then you make now. Are you crazy? If you get $50 now is the time for some come uppance to $75 at least. And don't forget to adjust the benefits so they match your old (unless the new is better). Be aggressive and go get it.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
So wait... uhhh... you haven't agreed on a salary/compensation yet? Isn't that kinda important before you commit?

You know the planets must be in an unusual arrangement when I agree with s0me0nesmind1. Is there a solar eclipse coming? o_O

Had I been you, I would have agreed to consider a written proposal from your client to become a full-time employee with the understanding that the discussions would be kept confidential until such time as an agreement was reached. I see no advantage to you in agreeing to be "poached", starting into a "conversion process", or notifying your current employer prior to having a firm, complete and significantly enhanced offer in hand. You seem to be frittering away your negotiating advantages on the hope that your trust in them will not be betrayed. This rightly should make you nervous. There is now a downside possibility to what started out as a upside-only opportunity. I hope that it works out well for you in the end!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ummm, why is your potential new employer calling your current employer? Like what is the reasoning behind that? That is never a good look.

That along with what others have mentioned, this just seems like the complete wrong approach.

I am in a current situation where I signed a contingent offer with a company that is in the same space as me, and is even on many contracts my current company is on. They are having trouble finding a spot for me however due to some contractual obligations as well as me not wanting them to tell my current company that they are shopping me around. This has been going on since March and they have been 100% on the same page as me as far as not letting my current company know.

Additionally, the initial offer was only $10k more than I make now and included less days off. But I told them what it would take for me to switch and they gave me a formal contingent offer letter with $25k more than I make now + the same amount of days off. So it's all in writing and signed by both of us, so there will be no disagreements if/when they find an actual spot to put me on.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Great. Looks like the timewarps are back. His update says it's from August 8th.

Hey, help a brother out. What's the lottery numbers?

;)

Reactions: RossMAN

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I fully agree with y'all- usually it's dumb to mention anything to my current employer until I have the offer letter in hand.

But this is a vendor-to-client conversion where the client is a huge pharma giant that employ thousands of contractors. So I was informed that we have Master Service Agreement that prevent us from being poached + needs a 12 month hiatus from the said client. So legally speaking, I can't be converted at all.

But both CEOs spoke to each other and they are able to provide releases per individual basis. That means my firm is in the know from the start in order to get the release.

So I got the release to go ahead. So me approaching my firm managers was more of a formality / courtesy talk than just staying quiet (when they know about it anyways).

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
I fully agree with y'all- usually it's dumb to mention anything to my current employer until I have the offer letter in hand.

But this is a vendor-to-client conversion where the client is a huge pharma giant that employ thousands of contractors. So I was informed that we have Master Service Agreement that prevent us from being poached + needs a 12 month hiatus from the said client. So legally speaking, I can't be converted at all.

But both CEOs spoke to each other and they are able to provide releases per individual basis. That means my firm is in the know from the start in order to get the release.

So I got the release to go ahead. So me approaching my firm managers was more of a formality / courtesy talk than just staying quiet (when they know about it anyways).

So why didn't you start with this? You made it sound like you were being poached. Now it just sounds like you agreed to being passed around.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
What's gonna happen if the client makes a shitty offer...and the current employer says, "Sorry, you wanted to go to them...live with it."?

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
People quit their bosses not their jobs. Go wherever makes you happy and shows that they value you.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Zeze, I understand that this possible conversion from consultant to employee brings more complications with it than a typical job change. Even so, I suggest you need to be more jealously looking after your own best interests.

I am starting to wonder to what degree you really have a say in whether or not this conversion goes ahead. How do you think your firm and your client would react to a "no" from you? Are other people being converted at the same time? What motivates your firm to agree to your conversion? Is continuation of your current status as a consultant a real option? Or is conversion the only way open to you for continuing to work for this client?

Whatever "Master Service Agreement" might exist between your firm and the client, it seems to me that your only concern should be what is contained in your work agreement with your firm. IMHO It's up to them to sort out the rest.

I hope it all works out to your advantage.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Sounds like a car crash to me. Too much exposure with little assurances.

What's the role / job?