audio problems! NEED HELP!

tridentgun

Apr 1, 2004
hi,
my new NF7-S 2.0 motherboard is causing some audio problems. there are occasional abrupt interruptions here and there whenever playing any audio. There would also be a high pitch screeching noise here and there. im using the latest nforce drivers. i tried both the onboard audio and an audigy 2 and i still get the same thing. the rest of the specs of my comp is the following:
amd 2500 xp
2 x 512 MUSHKIN pc3200 special "222" (in dual channel)
WD 120 GB SE
ATI 9800 pro
350 W Enermax PSU

i've used this sound card before in an abit kd7 motherboard and it worked fine. it was only after this motherboard upgrade that i'd encountered this problem. also, everything is at stock speed/voltage. no overclocking. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
1) what applications display the problem (games, music playback, dvd playback...?)

2) what PCI slot is the Audigy 2 in? If the answer is the top one or the bottom one, try slots 2, 3 or 4.

3) when the Audigy 2 is installed, do you have the onboard audio/MIDI/Gameport/Firewire disabled in the motherboard's BIOS (since those functions are duplicated by the NF7-S)?

4) got your optical drives in DMA mode for sure?

tridentgun

Apr 1, 2004
Originally posted by: mechBgon
1) what applications display the problem (games, music playback, dvd playback...?)

2) what PCI slot is the Audigy 2 in? If the answer is the top one or the bottom one, try slots 2, 3 or 4.

3) when the Audigy 2 is installed, do you have the onboard audio/MIDI/Gameport/Firewire disabled in the motherboard's BIOS (since those functions are duplicated by the NF7-S)?

4) got your optical drives in DMA mode for sure?

1. so far, i've encountered the problems in winamp 5.02 and windows media player and right when windows startup.
2. the audigy2 is in pci slot 2 i believe. its the second one right below the AGP slot.
3. i disabled the onboard audio but not the MIDI/Gameport/Firewire.
4. yep, all my optical drives are in DMA mode.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Long shot: do you have a microphone plugged in? Maybe you're getting feedback.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
What kind of speakers are you using? If you have some headphones to try instead, give them a whirl to help eliminate possiblilities.

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
For whatever reason I have the EXACT same problem, except with soundstorm on my Epox 8rda+ board, it only happens in digital as far as i know though, but the signal just drops intermitently for no reason for a second or so and then comes back.