Audio Issues with my HTPC

ladhnur

May 18, 2015
Hi Everyone,
Recently I purchased a "Dell Inspiron 660" (Intel Core i5 64 bit quad core, 8GB DDR3, Windows 8.1) to use as a HTPC.

My existing setup had a PS3 hooked up to my receiver and receiver was connected to my projector (video) and speakers (audio). PS3 was hooked to receiver using a HDMI for audio + video and was working perfectly.

I replaced the PS3 with the new Dell Inspiron in hopes of it being a simple swap (swap PS3 with HTPC) but I was surprised to find that the video was working but audio didnt work.

I have been reading many different forums to figure out what can be done to resolve the issue. I tried different ideas proposed in these forums but still not successful in getting the audio playing.

To check if the HDMI cable was okay or if the HTPC had any issues, I moved the PC to another setup where it was directly connected to my Sharp TV (using the same HDMI cable). I found that Audio & video both worked.

I am unable to understand why would the same PC + HDMI cable directly connected to a TV works but the audio doesn't work when I pass it through a receiver.

Has any one else observed similar issue and how was it resolved?

Thanks in advance for your help

PS: This is my first post so if I have posted my question in the wrong forum then can the admins please move it to the correct forum? Thanks

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What video card are you using to get the audio? Depending on the video card, you need to use specific audio drivers in order to get proper audio out (and more importantly, proper audio pass-through) over HDMI to your receiver. You may also need to spoof the EDID of your PC in order for the receiver to properly recognize it as being able to carry audio signals (as well as what types of signals it supports sending).

Last edited:

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
You may need to change the default sound card output signal in Windows Control Panel. You might be outputting something the receiver can't handle (like maybe 24/192).

ladhnur

May 18, 2015
Thanks for your response

What video card are you using to get the audio?

The specs says it has:
Desktop Video Graphics Intel HD Graphics 2500
Desktop Media Card Reader WLAN half mini-Card
Desktop Audio Integrated 5.1 Audio

Depending on the video card, you need to use specific audio drivers in order to get proper audio out (and more importantly, proper audio pass-through) over HDMI to your receiver. You may also need to spoof the EDID of your PC in order for the receiver to properly recognize it as being able to carry audio signals (as well as what types of signals it supports sending).
How do I do that? Is there some detailed steps I can follow?

Thanks

ladhnur

May 18, 2015
Thanks for yoru response

You may need to change the default sound card output signal in Windows Control Panel. You might be outputting something the receiver can't handle (like maybe 24/192).

How do I do this?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would get the latest drivers from Intel's website for your version of Windows. For the setting the output, you need to open the properties on your output device. I believe if you right click on the speaker icon (where you can raise/lower volume) and go to properties, you can then get to a menu that will show you the sound devices. You need to edit the settings for the output device to use 24/192 (again, probably through a right click on the device in the menu and going to properties and looking through the new menu that pops up).

There is an entire speaker setup that you can and should run in the control panel. With a receiver, you should make sure you tell the computer that you have 5.1/6.1/7.1 speaker setup (default is just stereo I believe).

I don't have Windows 8 so I don't know exactly how it works on that version, but it should have something similar to the above.

Sep 12, 2004
How do I do this?
In Control Panel select the Sound icon.

Before changing any sound formats, check that the proper default sound device is selected. Most likely the current default is whatever sound chip is on the laptop. What you want as the default device is, iirc, Intel HD Audio. Just right-click on it and select "Default" from the menu.

Once the proper default is set, click on the device name to highlight it and then click on "Configure." Follow the prompts to configure the sound for your system.