Audio enthusiasts! Which HT reciever should I purchase? [Poll!]

Jan 9, 2002
I'm thinking about selling my 2001 Sony STR-DE675 home theater receiver (for $200) for something a little more cleaner and professional sounding. If you have an honest recommendation in the same class/price range as those listed in the poll, feel free to mention that as well.

REQUIREMENTS:
Price ceiling: $299 (I'll consider used (eBay) if it's in supurb condition)
65w per channel or greater
Dolby Digital & dts 5.1
Two optical outputs, one coaxial output
NO BACKGROUND WHITE NOISE (why I'm selling my Sony)

Bring it! :)

EDIT: ObiDon wants to know which one to buy as well! Help us out!

Jan 9, 2002
Update: Currently considering the Onkyo ONK TXSR500 and the harman/kardon AVR 120 (both retail for $299 and have all the features I'm looking for).

The h/k only has 40w x 5 (40w x 5 into 8 Ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz at <0.07% THD), but with high current power with all channels driven simultaneously. Clarification?

tronester1

Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by: NightFlyerGTI
Update: Currently considering the Onkyo ONK TXSR500 and the harman/kardon AVR 120 (both retail for $299 and have all the features I'm looking for).

The h/k only has 40w x 5 (40w x 5 into 8 Ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz at <0.07% THD), but with high current power with all channels driven simultaneously. Clarification?

The h/k is probably being more accurate in its power rating specifications. 40w x 5 is equal to 200w total. That means the power supply has to convert the 120vac power from the wall to probably around 35vdc on the power rails. The current needed to support assuming a class A/B design with that power supply voltage would need to be around 11 amps. That requires quite a big transformer. That is a pretty hefty power draw at full consumption.

Chances are, the Onkyo's true power output would be around the same as the H/K, but thats not to say that it could not be higher, or that even with that low of a rating the H/K is incorrect.

Also, regarding your first post, you say you are getting rid of the Sony because of its white noise? What do you usually set the volume level to? I have never had a problem with noise and ANY reciever. Please go into more detail on how you heard this noise. Include what source material you were using. Your method of connection (IE TOSLINK, SPDIF, analog) what you had the volume set to, the proximity of the speakers to your ears and so forth. You probably do not need a new reciever, you just need to optimise the one you already have.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
I never really thought of that being a problem with the lower end models. I have the Sony STR-D1015 and it's pretty nice. The only reason I'm considering a new receiver is because my current one isn't Dolby Digital or any of that other stuff. Besides that, it's a sweet unit!

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Find some way around that $299 price ceiling. If you don't, you'll just end up upgrading again in a few years, most likely...

I'd recommend the 3802 from 6ave. Then again, I own the 3802, so I might be biased. :D

Rob

Jan 9, 2002
Originally posted by: tronester1

The h/k is probably being more accurate in its power rating specifications. 40w x 5 is equal to 200w total. That means the power supply has to convert the 120vac power from the wall to probably around 35vdc on the power rails. The current needed to support assuming a class A/B design with that power supply voltage would need to be around 11 amps. That requires quite a big transformer. That is a pretty hefty power draw at full consumption.

Chances are, the Onkyo's true power output would be around the same as the H/K, but thats not to say that it could not be higher, or that even with that low of a rating the H/K is incorrect.

Also, regarding your first post, you say you are getting rid of the Sony because of its white noise? What do you usually set the volume level to? I have never had a problem with noise and ANY reciever. Please go into more detail on how you heard this noise. Include what source material you were using. Your method of connection (IE TOSLINK, SPDIF, analog) what you had the volume set to, the proximity of the speakers to your ears and so forth. You probably do not need a new reciever, you just need to optimise the one you already have.

I've got my Sony hooked up to Polk Audio speakers and can hear this very light hiss/smooth static/noise in the background. Most couldn't tell or care, but I can and do. It's on DVDs and CDs. I use 16 guage Monster Cable and the front channels are no more than 10' from the receiver. I use optical and coaxial inputs on CDs and DVDs, respectively (Acoustic Research cables). The volume is at over 50% on either source. What do you think?

Jan 9, 2002
Originally posted by: ObiDon
I never really thought of that being a problem with the lower end models. I have the Sony STR-D1015 and it's pretty nice. The only reason I'm considering a new receiver is because my current one isn't Dolby Digital or any of that other stuff. Besides that, it's a sweet unit!

If you turn up the volume to nominal and above volumes, you can hear it on the Sony's. :( Other than that, I think my Sony is a sweet unit too! I love the huge remote, source naming, and blue LED light that comes on for Dolby Digital and dts signals (also announced by a scrolling 'DOLBY DIGITAL 3/2' across the screen).

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
If you turn up the volume to nominal and above volumes, you can hear it on the Sony's.
I'm glad I always buy the 10-series models then. I've never had this problem with them. My usual listening level is somewhere around 2 on the dial. I've never passed around 3 or 3.5 on the dial. When I get that far, I can feel notes that I can't even hear and I start worrying that I'm going to crack a window or something. Dual subs rock! :D

Oh yeah, my mids/highs come through great too. It doesn't sound like those cars that pass by with the windows rolled all the way down yet all you hear is bass. ;)

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
I'll preface this by saying I wouldn't classify myself as an audio enthusiast. But at the same time, I don't want to "settle" on a potentially long term purchase either. And I just faced this same upgrade (and exact same price contraints) a couple weeks ago.

I ALMOST got the Onkyo TXSR500. But I ended up opting for a Yamaha RX-V430 instead (which is the same thing as the Yamaha HTR-5540 in case you run across different model numbers.)

Yamaha RX-V430 (and HTR-5540)

Both had very good sound quality. The thing which tipped it towards the Yamaha for me personally was all the different DSP modes, which Yamaha seems to have in abundance over most other manufacturers. There's so many different options to choose from you can pick the right fit for any music, movie and tv program. That might sound like a jokey option to the hardcore audiophiles, but for my everyday needs it seemed the perfect fit and I couldn't tell any immediately discernable difference in sound quality.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
10-series models? My Sony goes up to '37'.
:Q

Usually Sony's regular consumer line only goes up to 9xx. Every once in a while they get bored or something and put out a 10xx model in that line.
My knob only goes to 10!

Jan 9, 2002
Looks good, Parrotheader- but I need more digital inputs. I'm going to go play with my Dad's h/k in the den- might go look at Onkyos, h/ks and Yamahas this evening if I can get away from the house after dinner.

Superdoopercooper

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2001
Denon rox0rs, but I have a Sony STR-DB830 I might be willing to find a way to part for if I can find a way to pull a jedi-mind-trick on my wife and buy a Denon 2802 or 3802.

:D

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Pioneer VSX-D811S Audio/Video Receiver

Power Output

Stereo (8 ohms): 100W + 100W
Surround
Center (8 ohms): 100W/ch
Center (8 ohms): 100W
Surround (8 ohms): 100W/ch
Surround Back (8 ohms): 100W
Terminal

Multi-Channel Input: 7.1 (DVD)
S-Video Input (In/Out): 4/2
Component Video Terminal (In/Out): 2/1
Digital Output: 1
Digital Input (Coaxial/Optical/Front Optical): 2/2/1
Audio (Tuner Included) Video Input: 4A/4AV
Audio/Video Output: 1A/1AV+1V
Preamp Output (C=Center, SW=Subwoofer): All (6.1)
A/V Input on Front
SR (Smart Remote) Terminal Out
Speaker Outputs
Speaker A/B: Independent
Front Terminal Type: Banana Large Screw
Center Terminal Type: Banana Large Screw
Rear Terminal Type: Banana Large Screw
Rear Center Terminal Type: Banana Large (Dual)
AC Outlet: 1
AC Power Switch Type: Tact

Built-in DTS-ES Discrete/Dolby Digital EX/Pro Logic II Decoder
Virtual Surround Back Mode
7.1-Channel Input
DVD-Audio Ready
96kHz /24-bit D/A Converter
Equal High Power for All Six Channels (100W x 6)
Stereo: Continious average power output of 100 watts per channel, min., at 8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz with no more than 0.2% total harmonic distortion
Surround:
front: 100W per channel (8 ohms, 1kHz, 1%THD)
center: 100W per channel (8 ohms, 1kHz, 1%THD)
surround: 100W per channel (8 ohms, 1kHz, 1%THD)
surround back: 100W per channel (8 ohms, 1kHz, 1%THD)
Advanced Surround
6-Channel Stereo
Midnight Listening Mode
5 Digital Inputs (2 Coaxial, 2 Optical, 1 Front Optical) and 1 Digital Optical Output
Component Video Terminal (2 Inputs, 1 Output)
S-Video Terminal (4 Inputs, 2 Outputs)
Front AV Inputs with S-Video Input and Optical Digital Input
Large Screw-Type Speaker Terminal (L/R/C/SL/SR/SBL/SBR/SP-B L/SP-B R)
Semi-Dot Matrix FL Display
FL Dimmer (4 steps)
Pre-programmed and Learning Remote
Luxury Design with Front Panel Door
Quick Set-Up Operation
Tuner Edit Operation

Jan 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Look for a JVC 8 series or higher

No thanks- JVC is now owned by RCA. Up until 2 years ago, they were offering pretty cool stuff. They're high end stuff is still noteworthy, though.

Jan 9, 2002
I know, but I can't afford it... the cheapest one is $399. :( Will look on eBay for them, but right now I'm leaning towards the Onkyo.

MiniThug

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2000
I believe that 6 Ave is selling the Denon 1802 for $325 plus shipping. All you have to do is call and ask. The website will list a higher price though. I bought my 3802 from them for $699 yet the website says $999. They are an authorized dealer too so you wont have to worry about warranty problems. Heres a link.

They also have the HK 120 listed for $267 but personally I would go with the Denon.