Audio and Video Codec

BigfootsMonk

May 2, 2005
Can someone suggest me some easy routes on getting the necessary/popular audio and video codecs?

Thanks,
Horace

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Depends on what paticular Linux distribution you choose.

For Ubuntu, for example, you want to enable universe and multiverse repositories. Then you want to install VLC and use that instead of the default totem. Also install win32 codecs, the package name varies but it's usually w32codecs or win32-codecs or something like that. Newer Ubuntu versions try to do this for your pretty much automaticly.

BigfootsMonk

May 2, 2005
I have Ubuntu Edgy, and it doesn't do the codec for me because I have an avi that doesn't have sound. I'm guessing it's too old already 0_0

Anyways, the universe and multiverse repositories, how do I enable them?

Is there a tutorial about this somewhere that I can just follow? Googled it for hours and didn't really get anywhere with it.

yuchai

Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: BigfootsMonk
I have Ubuntu Edgy, and it doesn't do the codec for me because I have an avi that doesn't have sound. I'm guessing it's too old already 0_0

Anyways, the universe and multiverse repositories, how do I enable them?

Is there a tutorial about this somewhere that I can just follow? Googled it for hours and didn't really get anywhere with it.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ub...tall_Multimedia_Codecs

Be sure to read the "General Notes" and "How to add extra repositories"

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: drag
Depends on what paticular Linux distribution you choose.

For Ubuntu, for example, you want to enable universe and multiverse repositories. Then you want to install VLC and use that instead of the default totem. Also install win32 codecs, the package name varies but it's usually w32codecs or win32-codecs or something like that. Newer Ubuntu versions try to do this for your pretty much automaticly.

VLC. /thread.