ATTN NY & CT commuters: I-95 could be closed for weeks due to tanker fire.

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Happened at 7:45pm tonight. Amazingly, the only injury is a minor one to the tanker driver. They're saying this portion of I-95 could be closed for weeks while they repair the damaged bridge. The Merritt Parkway is 2 lanes, and can't handle trucks. Damn, that sucks for all you commuters down in Fairfield County. They said the tanker was carrying heating oil.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
i was watching the news when they said the bridge is probably going to give out. this will definatly be an interesting situation for the morning communte...glad i'm not part of it :p

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Originally posted by: oniq
No one wants to goto Bridgeport anyway :D

Haha, you're right, they all want to get through it, now they can't without actually going into the city. Teddies is a required pit-stop for all you peeps roaming through the city. :p

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Holy crap. Lower Fairfield county is a mess anyway. Even with I-95 running at max capacity the Stamford to Bridgeport corridor is stop and go during rush hour. With I-95 closed in Bridgeport things are going to be a nightmare. The Merritt Parkway will be a parking lot and downtown Bridgeport will be just as bad as the trucks are routed through.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Dang that sucks. I remember when the tire fire took out part of I-95 near Philly... that took them at least a year to rebuild, but one side wasn't damanged so they were able to keep it open.

Somebody please shoot me now, what a god awful mess the traffic is, it's only 6:00 am and already the traffic is backing up, maybe it's time to close the shop for a week or two and take a much needed vacation, it appears that I-95 will be closed for several weeks while they replace the bridge, the supporting beams that support the bridge have softened from the intense heat causing the bridge to sag 5 to 8 feet.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Great, I'm supposed to drive in to the Bronx tonight...
rolleye.gif

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Intake77
rolleye.gif

I guess the best way would be to take 84W then 87S, seeing how you live in Cromwell, you're not too far from I-84.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: tontod
Originally posted by: Intake77
rolleye.gif

I guess the best way would be to take 84W then 87S, seeing how you live in Cromwell, you're not too far from I-84.

Thats what I thought too, but much of the 95 traffic is going to be diverted over to 84 as well as the Merritt... Maybe the wife'll say "yeah, forget it." even if it is her great aunt's 90th birthday party.

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Roger
Somebody please shoot me now, what a god awful mess the traffic is, it's only 6:00 am and already the traffic is backing up, maybe it's time to close the shop for a week or two and take a much needed vacation, it appears that I-95 will be closed for several weeks while they replace the bridge, the supporting beams that support the bridge have softened from the intense heat causing the bridge to sag 5 to 8 feet.

Hey man, I didn't know you lived in CT. I'm heading to Foxwoods this weekend from Greenwich. What do you think the best way to go is? Should I just jump on the Merritt until I get past Bridgeport?

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Originally posted by: CChaos

Hey man, I didn't know you lived in CT. I'm heading to Foxwoods this weekend from Greenwich. What do you think the best way to go is? Should I just jump on the Merritt until I get past Bridgeport?

Heh, I'd go to Atlantic City, it'll probably take the same time to get there with this mess. Playing some hold 'em?

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
I actually don't really gamble much but my brother is up from South Carolina for a week so we're taking my grandmother up there. I don't know what I'm going to play, but I'm sure I'll lose! We're leaving Sunday morning so hopefully there will be a bit of a lull in the traffic when we are on the Merritt.

EDIT: We're leaving to go to Foxwoods on Sunday and just staying the night. It's a wierd time to travel so I'm hoping it helps.

Two routes to choose from ;

1)RT.7 to 84

1)Merrit Parkway

Good luck, you are going to need it.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: thawolfman
Damn all these peeps from CT emerge! :Q

They've all been hiding from you, and since you haven't been around they figured it was safe to come out. OH how they were wrong.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

That's what I'd do. There are detours set up to get you off the highway, through downtown Bridgeport and then back onto I-95 once past the accident scene. I wouldn't trust them though, it's going to be slow getting through there. Take the Merritt until you get over the Sikorsky bridge in Milford and pop over to 95 from the connector there.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt

That's what I'd do. There are detours set up to get you off the highway, through downtown Bridgeport and then back onto I-95 once past the accident scene. I wouldn't trust them though, it's going to be slow getting through there. Take the Merritt until you get over the Sikorsky bridge in Milford and pop over to 95 from the connector there.

Yeah, take the Merritt, like everyone else is going to be doing.

I wonder if the truck driver will get fined or jail time? or at least put in the stocks so we can throw rotten fruit at him.