Attention System Builders - 2011

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dndavis57

Jan 28, 2009
Thank you for a very informative thread. My last build, almost 3 years ago, was a Phenom II X3 720. It still does everything I require of it, but I'm thinking of going Sandy Bridge for a new box and putting this one out for my wife and kids.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I am about to update my system after putting up with mobo problems for a couple of years, yes...it took that long to figure out it was the mobo.

Thanks for this thread, lots of time and energy obviously went into it so some of us could make better decisions when building. I am working on figuring out the best performance/price/stability system with intel at the core, and really want to make the right choices.

The only problem I am having is some of the links don't go where they are supposed to, specifically when I was in the mid-range mobo section. The products may not be available anymore or numbers have changed.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
I am about to update my system after putting up with mobo problems for a couple of years, yes...it took that long to figure out it was the mobo.

Thanks for this thread, lots of time and energy obviously went into it so some of us could make better decisions when building. I am working on figuring out the best performance/price/stability system with intel at the core, and really want to make the right choices.

The only problem I am having is some of the links don't go where they are supposed to, specifically when I was in the mid-range mobo section. The products may not be available anymore or numbers have changed.

I was gonna ask how relevant this info is now

Madmick

Apr 7, 2012
I thought I'd mention that Acer came out with a new line of monitors that supercedes the model mentioned on the low end of this list.

The Acer s230HL is $157 after shipping from Tiger Direct (or Amazon) for a 23" 1920x1080 display with 100m:1 dynamic contrast ratio, although it's only 250 nits, not 300. I've noticed the price has been driven up since it was released just several weeks ago. When it first released, it was only $137 after shipping from these retailers. Here's the Engadget piece on all 5 models in the series:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/13/acer-brings-five-monitors-to-the-us-market/

The s235HL won this "IF Award", but it's identical to the s230HL; the only difference is the slanted stand with the wider base and the controls on the base instead of on the panel face (like most monitors).

chelos

Apr 20, 2012
I just joined these forums, since I have decided to build my own computer for the first time, and ... this thread is a god-send. It will certainly make the process a lot easier for me.

I look forward to this project, should be a ton of fun!