Attention System Builders 2.0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Just want to give thanks to those who contributed to this thread. I needed a budget upgrade, and hadn't been keeping up with hardware over the last few years. This thread was all I needed to make my purchases, and my pc is now up and running way faster than before.

Thanks again.

RIjon

Dec 28, 2008
This thread was very helpful. It helped me narrow down the items.

Thank you!

modoheo

May 28, 2008
Great job!

Glad to see someone picked up where I left off and updated my original thread. I've been feeling guilty about not coming 'round and updating this thread, but my wife and I had twin boys recently so I have a somewhat valid excuse.

Very nice work!

SparksIT

May 16, 2009
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124

nVIDIA chipsets: Stay far away. nVIDIA's newer chipsets have been plagued with instability, and workarounds exist to get SLI working on non-nVIDIA boards.

Is there a Link for this? Does this only apply to Intel boards, or can the be done on ATI chipsets? What type of performance drop or gain are we talking about when comparing the chipset with an actually nVidia chipset? Performance comparison between ATI chipset with cards for ATI xFire and nVidia SLI(In general)?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
The G86 is not pure FUD, nVIDIA acknowledged the problem, and basically told everyone to piss off. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=G84+G86+defective
They're selling a defective chip. Period.

I'll give you no surround PCM or lossless over HDMI. No 24p for movies? I tried, it worked. The audio limitations only come into play when you've got an extremely expensive and finely tuned HT audio system. If you're using even the fanciest of HTIBs, DD EX/DTS Plus will sound just as good.

Thanks for the guide, but it is a bit ironic when you give a lmgtfy link, because if you google it yourself you will find that nVidia fixed the problem about 1 year ago. Granted my post is months after the original statement but it was known they had fixed it at least by Q3 of last year.

Also it seems a bit biased that all products are links to a certain seller on the internet. I happen to like Newegg and buy a lot of hardware there but it isn't really appropriate in a guide to refer continually to the same seller when there are plenty of sources for these parts. Maybe this is nitpicking, but it would seem better to only link to the manufacturer page unless something is rare enough there's only one place it can be purchased.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A big thanks for the effort in putting this together, as I'm getting ready to do a build.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Great stuff.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Haven't looked at anything new in 1.5 years and this helped me catch up with the tech big time. :thumbsup:

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
Now that 1/2 year has passed, what is the current best low-end CPU and MB? I will be overclocking. I need to upgrade my 6 year old rig!

MJ99

Jun 13, 2001
Add to that medium and high-end updates. I'm getting ready to build a mid-range PC and based on other comments it seems like the current best options for a mid-range e system is to wait on the s1156 motherboards to be "hopefully" released soon.

Caladin2

Sep 9, 2004
It seems that alot of the links are coming back "Deactivated Item". Thanks for all the hard work. Was looking to build a new system.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
This thread needs updating badly... Or we need a new sticky alltogether...

Agreed.
icon14.gif

I re-sticky it Hoping that one of that one of the OPs, or a New Volunteer would consider updating the info.

Baelzar

Oct 8, 2008
The information from this here thread was invaluable for my first build in October 2008, and I hope there's some way to keep it updated.

Is there another online resource that does what this thread used to do? I can't decipher the meaningless names that manufacturers give their mobos/cpus/vid cards/etc.

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Only two of the motherboard links are to existing products.

slapkey

May 29, 2006
For what it's worth, as someone that doesn't have the expertise to do it themselves, I would absolutely love for someone to create a thread like this for 2010! I can build a PC if given the parts, but putting together a list like this is outside of the range of my knowledge. The first list was invaluable to me a while back.

Last edited: