Attention Mid-Range System Builders - Updated 08/01/2015

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Built my first at 13, i would give it at the time a 5 or 6 (i was 13 after all) years later and many many builds later, i rate it a 3-4. It is a simple step by step process.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
to be honest 570 or 6950 it matters little, pick whichever performs best for the games you prefer.

Agree. The 6950 2GB was the obvious choice when all the 570s were over $300. Now that you can regularly get the 570 for $280 or so, the choice becomes blurrier.

However, the 570 does still cost more and requires a beefier PSU, so that wouldv'e blown my budget or cost me the SSD.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
This configuration fits into my budget (up to $1200 or so), but I won't be gaming at all, but will be a heavy user of Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom. All of my other computing will be done with an existing laptop.

I would double RAM to 16GB and probably double-up on the Samsung HD, with one HD as my scratch drive.

I won't be editing video, so do I really need a $240 graphics card for still image editing? If not, what would you recommend?

Is that case appropriate for this kind of use or would a lower-cost case work just as well? Which?

Is the power supply adequate for the additional RAM and HD, especially if a less expensive graphics card is more appropriate/adequate?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom/advice.

Yes, doubling the RAM and getting a second F3 are good ideas. You can ditch the GPU entirely as others have said and get a good 350-380W PSU like this Seasonic.

As for the case, the 400R is quite good, but you can certainly get away with a less expensive one. The Antec Three Hundred for example.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
So Mfenn, on a scale of 1-10 how hard do you think it is for a 1st time builder to assemble the PC from parts using online guides.

I agree with the others. It's not hard if you are prepared and take your time. Maybe a 5 for a first timer and a 2-3 for anyone whose done it a few times. Picking out the right parts is much harder IMHO!

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Yes, doubling the RAM and getting a second F3 are good ideas. You can ditch the GPU entirely as others have said and get a good 350-380W PSU like this Seasonic.

As for the case, the 400R is quite good, but you can certainly get away with a less expensive one. The Antec Three Hundred for example.

Agree. The only reason why he should get a VGA card is in the case if he has to power multiple monitors.

jobz

Jun 9, 2009
Since the experts are here, can I clear up one thing once and for all.

When you work inside a computer, first discharge any static by touching metal part of the case. Should you do this with power cable plugged in or not?

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009

When you work inside a computer, first discharge any static by touching metal part of the case. Should you do this with power cable plugged in or not?

In practice it doesn't matter.

mountains

Sep 7, 2011
I'm not very familiar with motherboards, or building in genral. Is this board a reasonable substitute for the ASRock? Amazon has the Gigabyte but not the ASRock in stock, and being an impatient fellow I'd prefer to get the one through Amazon Prime than rely on Newegg if the two are similar enough.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Yes, that looks like a decent mobo, pretty much equivalent to the Asrock.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Personally I'd drop the SSD and either pocket the $200 or get a better CPU or GPU. Maybe use it to buy a LCD. But thats just me. I'm not on the SSD bandwagon yet because they are too expensive and too small in storage space for my liking. Its a nice build though.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
^ Going for a better GPU over an SSD is not a bad choice, agreed. Since the LCD is a peripheral it's not included in the budget. Also you can't get a better gaming CPU than 2500K.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
^ Going for a better GPU over an SSD is not a bad choice, agreed. Since the LCD is a peripheral it's not included in the budget. Also you can't get a better gaming CPU than 2500K.

I agree. I probably wouldn't bother getting the 2600K. I threw the LCD comment in there just to say you can put the money to better use. So, I guess for me its either better GPU or pocket the money. Again thats just me. Like I said its a good build mfenn put up. A person can take it and then modify it to their preferences.

Photomoe61

Sep 21, 2011
To all who commented on my post re: the mid-range spec and my need for Photoshop/LR capabilities: thanks.

I'd neglected to consider the possible future need for a 2nd monitor, thus it appears I'll need a graphics card (but which for Photoshop and Lightroom?). I suppose then I'll need the original power supply so there's enough power for the card?

Will the 60GB SSD be large enough for the OS (Windows 7, 64-bit), PHotoshop CS5, Lightroom 3.3/3.4 (which is due out soon)? Or is that just false savings in the short-term?

As Mfenn pointed out, determining the components is much harder than everything else (especially for someone who's been away for the "build your own PC" world for quite a while).

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.;)

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
^ All you need is a $25 HD 5450 to run two monitors (one through DVI, another through HDMI). It will increase max power consumption by about 25W, no need for a bigger PSU than you had planned. To run eyefinity (3 monitors) you need displayport output and those cards are a bit more expensive.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
^ All you need is a $25 HD 5450 to run two monitors (one through DVI, another through HDMI). It will increase max power consumption by about 25W, no need for a bigger PSU than you had planned. To run eyefinity (3 monitors) you need displayport output and those cards are a bit more expensive.

If he is doing that just make sure the motherboard has two outputs because im fairly sure the sandybridge IGP supports two monitors.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Unplug everything from the wall BEFORE you start working on it. Ask me how I know - the hard way (ZAAP).

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
In practice it doesn't matter.

Doing it while its unplugged has less room for error though ("OOPS, I forgot to turn the PSU switch off!").

Personally I'd drop the SSD and either pocket the $200 or get a better CPU or GPU. Maybe use it to buy a LCD. But thats just me. I'm not on the SSD bandwagon yet because they are too expensive and too small in storage space for my liking. Its a nice build though.

Once you have used a machine with an SSD, I think that you'll disagree. I certainly do.

If he is doing that just make sure the motherboard has two outputs because im fairly sure the sandybridge IGP supports two monitors.

It does. I'm not sure if they can both be digital though.

liddabit

Jun 17, 2011
How important is the SSD? I already have 2 1tb Samsung hard drives from my last computer. I am not sure if it is worth getting an SSD for my new computer.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
How important is the SSD? I already have 2 1tb Samsung hard drives from my last computer. I am not sure if it is worth getting an SSD for my new computer.

Very important in my opinion. Once you get used to using a computer with one, you'll never realize just how dog slow and unresponsive every other computer you've ever used was. An SSD is literally 100 times faster than an HDD at random reads and writes. This has a huge impact when you're opening lots of programs or just heavily multitasking in general.

Now, getting used to an SSD can be perilous, especially if you have to use a computer at work. I'm a sysadmin with discretionary spending authority, so I get to choose my own PCs. Not everyone is so lucky.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Now, getting used to an SSD can be perilous, especially if you have to use a computer at work. I'm a sysadmin with discretionary spending authority, so I get to choose my own PCs. Not everyone is so lucky.

Yeah, ignorance is bliss.

liddabit

Jun 17, 2011
Also on the Asrock motherboard. I've never used Asrock before. Is there a reason you picked them? Do motherboards really make a difference in performance between brands?

edit, also curious about the PSU. I've read bad reviews on that one.. and I didn't know 500 would be enough watts? I have a HIPER PSU I bought in England before I moved to the US . It is 520 watts.. If I upgrade to i5 2500k and a 6950, will I not even need to upgrade my psu?

Last edited: