Attention all P.K.'S (Preachers Kids)

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Did you find yourselves having a somewhat distorted idea of what work was growing up?

For me, my Mom always worked while my Dad was either Preaching or attending school. I guess I grew up thinking that was normal, and that it was OK for the woman of the household to be the "Bread Winner".

Needless to say, I was in for a shock later on in life....

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
My dad is an electrical engineer so I have no fvcking clue about your situation.
sorry.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
With all of the 3000-member mega-churches you see these days, I think the salary for a pastor is pretty good now. I have no clue why my pastor hasn't abandoned my ~50 member church for a bigger church, but I guess his wife makes good money. I've heard of MUSIC DIRECTORS at large churches making $100,000+ a year.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
With all of the 3000-member mega-churches you see these days, I think the salary for a pastor is pretty good now. I have no clue why my pastor hasn't abandoned my ~50 member church for a bigger church, but I guess his wife makes good money. I've heard of MUSIC DIRECTORS at large churches making $100,000+ a year.

:Q

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
I have no clue why my pastor hasn't abandoned my ~50 member church for a bigger church, but I guess his wife makes good money.

im going to go out on a limb here and guess its because not all pastors are in it for the money...

TekChik

Jan 15, 2003
I'm a P.K., too...and I think you're right. It was always kind of weird b/c Dad never had a regular job...his office was at home and he hardly made much money. But my mom thought it was important to be at home with us kids until we were in at least middle school...so for much of my growing up years, we were just dirt poor - grew a garden for veggies, raised chickens for meat, dad did some diving and fishing since we lived near the beach in SoCal and people gave us stuff. NEVER had new clothes or many presents at Christmas.

...but i have to say - all 3 of us are happy, productive members of society, have great happy kids and love and are close to our parents and extended family.

i'm not sure why i went that direction...maybe just musing on the keyboard...but to answer your question, i DO think my view of work is somewhat skewed...maybe not exactly as yours is, but i've just never gotten really into work. i'm not a workaholic, my job is just to make money to live. other than that, i would not be driven to have a career. family and values are more important to me and if i wasn't a single mom, i'd be at home teaching and raising my 3 1/2 yr old angel/daughter.

Glad to know there's other P.K.'s out there :)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: xSauronx
I have no clue why my pastor hasn't abandoned my ~50 member church for a bigger church, but I guess his wife makes good money.

im going to go out on a limb here and guess its because not all pastors are in it for the money...

Heh, excellent point. :) I think most pastors would feel like they are being used more effectively at a large church that supports a lot of missionaries and has a lot of outreach programs... not to mention having a larger "flock" to lead. Fortunately my pastor doesn't feel that way, because he's great.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

This is why the modern church is apostate.
Welcome to Babylon.

Pakaderm

Mar 8, 2001
<--- PK. Dad worked at the office 8-5ish M-Th, and preached on Sunday. Mom stayed home to raise us until we reached 5th-6th grade, then she went back to work. I got a very realistic view of what working was like, except my Dad always had Friday & Saturday off.

-Pak