attaching F-connector to RG6 cable, do i need the crimp tool?

tracerit

Nov 20, 2007
i just need to attach two connectors for a one time home use application, do I need a crimp tool or can I just push that connector in pretty snugly with my hands and call it a day?

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
For a one time quick thing, you can probably get away with any pair of pliers. For any real cable install definitely use a crimp tool.

Just pushing it on with your hands its going to slide right off unless you have a really thick cable for some reason. The copper wire only makes contact, it doesn't "snap in" to anything on the plug, so if you dont crimp it at all you're going to just end up with a lonely F connector screwed into the back of your device and a roll of cable sitting on the ground next to it :)

DavidT99

Mar 29, 2013
If you buy the correct size connector for the cable then they will just screw onto the outer sheath very tightly. The inner copper contact doesn't make contact to any part of the connector.

David

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Depending on the cable I would either buy a couple of the non crimp screw on connectors or just go ahead and blow $3 on a cheap crimper. If the cable is loose snag some Cable guy and get him to put a couple connectors on it.