ATT Wireless in SF: V60 @ $45 +(tax, act.) 1yr. Free w/ 2yr

kormaster

Apr 19, 2001
My first post so please dont flame me. I think this is a good deal.

San francisco area, Att store on Clement and 11th.
V60 phone
1yr - $45 + $25(tax) + $35 (act.)
2yr - FREE +$25(tax) + Act. fee WAIVED

They currently have 400/3000 for $39.99
If you pick 49.99 plan (600/3000) w/ 1 yr contract, they will offer the phone for free.

I think im gonna pick one up, but im also deciding b/t Verizon Wireless... although their V60 is $149.00 and LGt510(black) is $38.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I'm a bit wary of AT&T right now. They've been offering good plans/prices but they're trying to move over to GSM satellites. So I'm wondering when this transition will occur and what will happen to the older phones/subscribers...

I'm happy with my Verizon service and all, but AT&T is cheaper. :)

hamburglar

Platinum Member
Feb 28, 2002
Can you order this online? I can't seem to find it anywhere on their web site. And when does the promotion end?

PKPunk

Feb 26, 2001
Hey, I'm a current att user, I'm going to go there and try and get on that deal. I'm still on my contract, but I'd be willing to extend it out for a 45 dollar v60. oh, some of you may not want to jump on this because from what I've been told att plans on rolling out a GSM/GPRS network in the S.F./bay area at the end of summer. I was told this by a guy at the att wireless store and I confirmed it with their 611 operator. Both told me that they would specials for att users to switch to the GSM phones, they told me that they really want their users to jump ships from TDMA to GSM so they will offer a rate plan with more minutes at the same prices and a big discount for current users to trade in their TDMA phone for a GSM phone. however I don't believe that att will offer a discounted rate plan because if check the pricing for san deigo, where it is already out the rate plans are actually a bit more than the TDMA service. Oh yea, the will still service the TDMA phones, their plan is to only maintain the TDMA towers but they will not build any new TDMA towers.

kormaster

Apr 19, 2001
so it is not a good idea to get ATT now?? i was worried about the fact that they will convert to GSM.... meaning... getting a TDMA phone such as v60 for ATT is not a good idea??? Crap.. i need a new service ASAP and in the bay area, Verizon phone isnt cheap.. i can get better deals in SOCAL(which im originally from) and i thought this ATT deal was really good.... What should i do guys??

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
wow good deal. =)

if you need a phone/plan ... i say get the att phone. getting a plan in socal wont change anything (except your area code). att will make the transition regardless. thats not going to happen for another couple years. by that time, you'll want a new phone anyway.

Packy

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2001
I hope I can get this deal to work in Oregon! My fiancee and I like our 3360's okay, but v60's would kick a lot more ass :) And I like AT&T, so I wouldn't mind extending my contract.

knightc2

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2001
Great deal. I do not live in SF area, but I just got a V60 and it is pretty cool. Needs a good strong Digital signal because it hops into analog mode pretty easily. I do like the phone though. It is mostly around $150-$200 elsewhere. $45 is way cheap. What is this $25 tax? That is like 56% tax! As for ATT switching to GSM, think about it. All of their customers are using TDMA now so they will have to keep that available for them. Not everyone will want to switch to a new phone. If you are happy with their coverage and with TDMA, then I would go for it.

Packy

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2001
I called AT&T customer service, and their upgrade price for a current wireless customer is still around $190! In other words, they don't care if you've been with them for two or three years, they just want to bring you into a contract. Maybe they can do cheaper in-store locally, but it sounds like the SanFran deal isn't possible for current AT&T subscribers.

Oh well, we got the 3360's for cheap. Hrmphh.

bender151

Apr 15, 2002
How is AT&T's service?

I live in the SF Bay Area and am currently on Cingular and have had very good service for a while. I get good reception almost everywhere, I rarely get dropped calls, and rarely get network overload signals. Overall I've been very happy with my service, which is surprising after hearing many other people bitch and moan about their crappy service from Cingular.

But my contract with Cingular is up and I can either stay with them or move to another carrier. I would like to get the V60, but the upgrade is too much under Cingular, ~$200. If I really can get the V60 at AT&T for $100 (phone, tax, activation) I'd be willing to do so. I'm just wondering if the service will be better or worse?

Optical

Aug 27, 2001
Try visiting Fremont and you'll know what sh*t service is. Go with ATT if you can.

kormaster

Apr 19, 2001
I think I am going with ATT despite the fact that they will convert to GSM... ATT in Bay area is #1... from my friends.. but Verizon is also good here too... MOst people get reception with almost all the service provider here in the Bay Brea... but ATT is the only that works in the Presidio area... which is odd... Cingular is hopeles there.. and Sprint is dead service there... only verizon gets a single bar, but ATT gets 3 bars there...

As far as V60 phone... people say that Verizon's v60 has "more" features that u can use.. that is why it costs more for Verizon than ATT.. I just think that this phone is over-hyped... but it looks nicer than the Nokia phones which i am so sick of (i had nokia 5xxx, 6xxx, 3xxx, 8xxx series).. so most all of them... they are easy to use.. but .. Im just done with it for now..

I hope ATT doesnt convert to GSM this summer... it may create a pandamonium among the current TDMA users or the TDMA phones might get dirt cheap or free.. who knows.. but for now, im gonna go down to that place on Clement/11th to get that deal...

nerdherd

Feb 4, 2002
Kormaster, favor please, when you go to get yourphone can you ask if this deal is good for stores in San Jose. I am thinking of signing up and that phone looks good. Thanks in advance.

knightc2

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2001

<< As far as V60 phone... people say that Verizon's v60 has "more" features that u can use.. that is why it costs more for Verizon than ATT.. >>

Verizon's V60 is the V60c, a CDMA phone, not TDMA. Slightly different features. I think the V60t has a better battery life.

bzo

Jun 26, 2001
Kormaster - is that store on Clement & 11th ave an corporate AT&T store, or a third party store?

ActionJ

Jul 26, 2001
What I don't understand most about American cell phone is that you can't change your services provider with the phone you have (or can you!?) Coz when I visit those providers' websites, they will have a list of which phone works under their network, and most often those lists are different. For example, I visited the motorola website and saw cingular gsm uses v60g, but att tdma use v60. 2 different models, 2 different systems, 2 different providers. Where I come from (Hong Kong), mostly uses GSM, and the v60 in HK is a tri-band GSM (like the v60g). And when ppl wanna change provider, they just change the SIM card. From what I saw from the motorola website, the v60g only works under cingular. Can some one explain this to me?!

kitkit201

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
if anyone wants to trade my v60 for a nokia 6360, email mee .. im in teh bay area, i really don't like the v60. it's nice to look at, but i miss the nokia menus..

kormaster

Apr 19, 2001
bzo,
The store on Clement/11th is a 3RD party store.. but they are ATT autorized dealer... kinda funny.. dont have all have to be anyways to sell ATT phones?? lol

nerdherd,
Area u asking if u come up to the bay area to buy the phone, will it work in San jose?? Am i missing something here?? well, from what i understand from your question, i am 100% sure u can get San Jose area code... (408 right?).. i mean i think they provide bay area numbers.. 510, 415, 925, 408...etc...

ActionJ,
To answer your question,... well.. welcome to US man.. basically i think the reason why we have so mnay types of services is due to Telecommucation law... where a company can only have certain % of ownership of areas.... TDMA, CDMA, GSM... i think they just pick which they want to pick or something.. i could be totally BSing right now.. but it makes sense to me... in the East coast, things are oppsite... companies that use TDMA uses GSM in the east coast under different company name,, so who knows...

V60 is a "cool" looking phone... but i gotta agree with kitkit201.. NOKIA has the BEST ease of use and friendliness... but why dont they release a flip-phone.. darn...

AT&T Vs Verizon Vs Nextel
And guys... to sum this discussion... ATT really worth getting right now when they are in the middle of changing(or planning to change) to GSM at the end of summer??? How will that affect the current TDMA users??? Im planning to go down this FRIDAY to get the phone... im just going to do lots of research and rely on YOUR comments about which one to get. I still think the deal i mention is hard to just let go...

Nextel - has FREE INCOMING CALL and UNLIMITED n/w... but phones are pricey... dont know the quality of service in SF...
Verizon - nice plan right now 700/4000 n/w - $40 - LGt510 black for $38, silver for $58, V60 -$149.00 (Gotta include hefty tax - $25??)
AT&T - considered one of the best service in the bay area, good phone price right now at the store i mentioned above. Question is.. will GSM screw the current customers at
the end of summer... how will that affect us?? Will they sell TDMA phones for dirt cheap and make us feel like we got ripped off?

Guys.. thanks for your reply... and NERDHERD... tell me when u go... maybe we can get a better deal if we haggle... saying that we will get two phone... maybe those Chinese owner will knock it down to 40 bucks or 35 bucks... i know they can... Message me..

culex

Jul 26, 2000
I will also vouch for this place. Infact, I got this deal back near end of February... the only different thing is that they offered it for $50 instead of $45.

If I remember correctly, the place on Clement and 11th is called "Impact Communications" and it is indeed an AT&T reseller. Finding the store was a bit hellish for me giving that it was my first time driving up to SF (which scared the bezeesus out of me) and the stores are packed very close. It's in the Chinatown area... or was it a little away from Chinatown... either way it's surrounded by Chinese stores.

They're actually pretty happy to recieve business for all this. When I tried driving up there, I kept calling them to ask if they not close right away and wait for me... (I was lost :) ) They did wait for me and all is well.
One thing they will tell you is that you cannot change your area code for 6 months. Which is weird since I called ATT customer service a week after and had it changed to Davis, CA number.

Someone asked about the $35 tax charge.

Basically how they work is that the're advertising the phone at $300, minus $250 rebate (or something like that). So what they're doing is charging you the tax of the full retail price. It's still a steal for that pricethough, IMO. I love the phone. I had Cingular for 18 months and pretty much got PO'ed when I could not get even mediocre reception at my house. So far, ATT seems to be doing extremely well on Nor-California... worst reception I got in SF and Davis was no less than 3 bars... which is superb.

satori

Nov 2, 1999
Man, I know >exactly< where that store is... It's near that Pho place and across the street from the Dim-sum restaurant, right? One of my friends used to live on 10th and Geary/Clement. :)

Anyways, I've heard horror stories about Cingular. I haven't found one person satisfied with their service (in the Bay Area). Most of my friends are with Sprint. It's kinda weird how dependent on the phone Sprint's quality is. One of my friend's has the exact same phone as mine (A Timeport) and he can't get reception in his house, while I can. One of my roommate's averages about 3-4 dropped-calls an hour, while I get one maybe once everyone couple weeks.

BTW, my phone isn't in prime condition either. It's been dropped hundreds of times, scrapped as heck, and took a dunking in a hot tub once (don't ask). It actually stopped working for a couple days, but after the components dried out, it's been >okay<. The sound quality is kinda jacked up though.

bender151

Apr 15, 2002
Any of you guys pick up this phone yet?

If so, how is it? Is the reception good? Also, do you know how long this deal will last for?

Packy

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2001
I wish I knew why these deals seem to be regional. Almost all the ATT stores up here insist on charging full prices.

liquidinferno

Banned
Jul 7, 2001
Dang,does anyone here in Seattle knows any deals on this phone,no cheapo here...Or website where you can get it or something???