AT's iPhone 6S review is up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stingerman

Feb 8, 2005
A9 is still no competition for Core m (or Mobile Maxwell on the graphics side).

Will never see Core M in a mobile phone. But, what happens when A9 or A9X is put in a notebook with better cooling? At a higher voltage, can it go to 2.5GHz, TSMC in 2014 did a test that indicates that their FinFet+ can be taken that high with the basic ARM reference design much less Apple's optimized designs. And what speed can they clock the GPU with better cooling.

A9X should be very telling.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Will never see Core M in a mobile phone. But, what happens when A9 or A9X is put in a notebook with better cooling? At a higher voltage, can it go to 2.5GHz, TSMC in 2014 did a test that indicates that their FinFet+ can be taken that high with the basic ARM reference design much less Apple's optimized designs. And what speed can they clock the GPU with better cooling.

A9X should be very telling.

Well said. Apple is well on its way to moving their entire product stack to ARMv8-A. Apple is waiting for the right time to make the transition. Apple should get Symmetric Multi threading up and running in their custom ARMV8-A core next year. Now that would really crank the multithread performance up. SMT is hard to get done right. Only Intel and IBM have it running now on their CPU cores. AMD Zen and Apple A10/A10X should have it too.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/10/02/is-there-any-truth-to-this-apple-inc-a10-rumor.aspx

Right now its very clear that Apple is the king of the mobile world. When somebody wants to compare the performance of Core M against A9/A9X they need to look at the performance in the relevant form factors and most importantly sustained performance. Intel chips are good at bursty performance but suck at sustained performance and throttle like mad over long time periods (1+ hr) .

A9X will beat Core M for CPU performance and be competitive for GPU performance when you test with similar form factors. Anybody who is serious about Core M vs A9X needs to look at passively cooled 12-13 inch Skylake tablet vs iPad Pro. Apple SoCs are now the high standard against which any other mobile SoC is measured. Apple has arguably the best mobile SoC in the world and their custom ARMv8-A CPU core leads the competition by a huge margin in single thread performance which btw is still the most important gating factor for a superior smartphone user experience.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Well said. Apple is well on its way to moving their entire product stack to ARMv8-A. Apple is waiting for the right time to make the transition. Apple should get Symmetric Multi threading up and running in their custom ARMV8-A core next year. Now that would really crank the multithread performance up. SMT is hard to get done right. Only Intel and IBM have it running now on their CPU cores. AMD Zen and Apple A10/A10X should have it too.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/10/02/is-there-any-truth-to-this-apple-inc-a10-rumor.aspx

Right now its very clear that Apple is the king of the mobile world. When somebody wants to compare the performance of Core M against A9/A9X they need to look at the performance in the relevant form factors and most importantly sustained performance. Intel chips are good at bursty performance but suck at sustained performance and throttle like mad over long time periods (1+ hr) .

A9X will beat Core M for CPU performance and be competitive for GPU performance when you test with similar form factors. Anybody who is serious about Core M vs A9X needs to look at passively cooled 12-13 inch Skylake tablet vs iPad Pro. Apple SoCs are now the high standard against which any other mobile SoC is measured. Apple has arguably the best mobile SoC in the world and their custom ARMv8-A CPU core leads the competition by a huge margin in single thread performance which btw is still the most important gating factor for a superior smartphone user experience.

Or you could, I dunno, wait until we actually get said relevent products in our hands before making such judgement. I certainly wouldn't count Intel out though. I sincerely doubt they've just been twittling their thumbs for the past two years ever since Apple's Cyclone cpu, unless for some reason, they don't see the chip as a threat.

Real cross-platform benches would also be nice. In gpus, half precision FP is often used in mobile to boost shader performance and reduce power consumption, I'm quite curious if Apple also made similar concessions in their cpu pipeline to focus on what will matter most for a user (IE, extremely fast for what 99.99% of users will use it for, sub-par for heavy production tasks). Also, I very dearly want to see how far this chip can be clocked.

What would be great is a benchmark that abuses every advantage that can be taken from both cpus (short of any half-precision shortcuts) including NEON, AVX, etc, etc. Basically, a true measure of raw power under ideal circumstances for both architectures.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006

Broadcom also employs SMT in its XLP processors and MIPS offers core IP with SMT :)

But yes I would love to see SMT on a future A series chip. That wide machine is just begging for it.

Mar 10, 2006
If A9 is "a monster", "enormous", "incredible" and other stuff said in the iPhone "sponsored by Apple" 6s review, then I wonder which adjectives exist to properly describe SKL ():).

Also, my calculation of cache http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37805764&postcount=5390.

What evidence do you have that the iPhone 6s review is "paid for"? I own both phones (which I paid for, of course) and the AT review is spot on.

The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are the only phones I recommend to anybody in the market for a high end phone. They are that good.

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
SPEC 2000 shows more gain than Geekbench. Time to move to SPEC 2006, especially given L2/L3 cache sizes...

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
it's such a shame that it's only being used for Iphones, Ipads and whatever because that's a great chip, Apple continues to deliver,

the only benchmark that didn't look great was again 3dmark physics...

Shehriazad

Nov 3, 2014
If only I could get my hands on that chip outside of an iOS environment. It looks very interesting.

I really do wonder if Apple will take that step and use this chip in an "ultrabook" or something like it (or any of their future chips in the near-ish future)...they certainly seem to approach acceptable performance levels

TrulyUncouth

Jul 16, 2013
What evidence do you have that the iPhone 6s review is "paid for"? I own both phones (which I paid for, of course) and the AT review is spot on.

The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are the only phones I recommend to anybody in the market for a high end phone. They are that good.

I've used a ton of high-end phones, the user experience has reached a level where everything is pretty even. I've been suggesting s6/note5 to a ton of people because the VR headsets are an extremely unique peripheral that set them apart.

If I had only one eye, I might check out iphones again. Have a 5s through work and trialed a 6 plus for a week. Just doesn't seem like enough benefits to make up for the amoled screen, easier file structure, and now VR of android.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
I expected talk about Anandtech accepting payola in the mobile forum, not in the CPU forum. :\

I know that AT isn't sponsered by anyone. That's why it was between quotation marks. But really, the review was very, very positive. I won't blame anyone for thinking such a thing. I don't have the phone so I can't judge, but when you hear a reviewer talking about "perfect (phone)"...

Mar 10, 2006
I know that AT isn't sponsered by anyone. That's why it was between quotation marks. But really, the review was very, very positive. I won't blame anyone for thinking such a thing. I don't have the phone so I can't judge, but when you hear a reviewer talking about "perfect (phone)"...

It's very positive because it is a truly excellent product. I highly recommend getting one to see for yourself -- it's truly insane what Apple has delivered here.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
If A9 is "a monster", "enormous", "incredible" and other stuff said in the iPhone "sponsored by Apple" 6s review, then I wonder which adjectives exist to properly describe SKL ():).

Also, my calculation of cache http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37805764&postcount=5390.

It's the finest chip available in its niche- and that niche is the fastest growing, highest volume and most competitive chip market in the world :) It's very specifically targeted at a phone and tablet thermal envelope, and does it very well. However unlike some posters here, I sincerely doubt that this design could clock much higher- leaving slack in the design for higher clocks means worse efficiency at lower clocks. (Intel demonstrated this years ago with their excellent Pentium M line.)

thunng8

Jan 8, 2013
And that's the only one being computational CPU bound.

3dmark physics is a joke on iOS devices. It was hard coded to use 2 threads so a8x saw no speed increases despite it having 3 cores That just shows the quality of the code from 3dmark

Space69

Aug 12, 2014
What would be great is a benchmark that abuses every advantage that can be taken from both cpus (short of any half-precision shortcuts) including NEON, AVX, etc, etc. Basically, a true measure of raw power under ideal circumstances for both architectures.

That would be great, but will never happen because there's no business case in providing such a benchmark. The amount of work associated with delivering of highly hand optimized code for each CPU family is just too much for any 3rd party. What should the benchmark test? Intel would love heavy optimized AVX2 (and AVX512) FP32/FP64 with random memory access patterns and it would annihilate anything from ARM. ARM would love general purpose code (preferable with fixed functions) with sequential memory access into cache.

Thanatosis

Aug 16, 2015
I just wish they had put OIS in the smaller phone. You shouldn't have to use a clownphone to get a flagship camera. Maybe Apple should move their top tier camera to the ipad if it feels bigger size = better camera.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Gold rating for a phone that has worse battery life. What an epic fail. Sure it is faster and has a couple new features, but we're talking $800 dollars here. You shouldnt have to sacrifice battery life on a $800 "upgrade".