Atrocity Committed... by Netflix

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 29, 2004
Yea, for some reason netflix carries some movies in fullscreen only.

For example, last time I checked, they only offered Office Space in full screen.

EDIT: nevermind. I didn't know it was in theaters. I thought it was direct t ovideo (therefore 4:3 originally)

Last edited:

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I woke up this morning and the DVD was still fullscreen format. I was hoping it was all just a bad dream.

Alas, I will have to watch Team USA beat those communist Russians the old fashioned way... stretched out, cropped, etc. Maybe it will make the puck easier to follow!

Apr 17, 2005
gross. i hate full screen with a passion. but you know whats worse...watching people who stretch widescreen to full up their 4:3 tvs.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I prefer fullscreen, seeing as I have a 12 yr old toshiba 4:3 36" crt tv. ;)

No way,widescreen is still superior! I remember watching widescreen VHS tapes on my 19" TV in my dorm room. People thought I was weird. Granted, that probably was pretty fucking weird back then. :p

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I prefer fullscreen, seeing as I have a 12 yr old toshiba 4:3 36" crt tv. ;)

your 4:3 CRT does nothing to fix the nausea-inducing wretchedness of pan-and-scan that comes with Full Screen re-processing. OAR or bust.

also, My biggest complaint these days with Netflix:

All of their BDs are now Netflix "special edition BDs" made exclusively for the home rental services. These special editions come completely bereft of all the extra goodies. It's just set-up, play movie, select scene. What happened to the other 30-40 GB of data on these discs?

So, why am I still paying an extra $2/month for BD access, when the studios (esp WB), have worked out agreements to give them tons more BDs, skimping on content, and in the case of Warner, delaying all releases by 1 month?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No way,widescreen is still superior! I remember watching widescreen VHS tapes on my 19" TV in my dorm room. People thought I was weird. Granted, that probably was pretty fucking weird back then. :p

Haha, me too. My glorious 19" Magnetbox. I remember paying ~$10 more to get the widescreen version on VHS--the rare times it was available: Apocalypse Now, Tombstone....whatever.

I remember paying $30 for Apocalypse Now on VHS & $200 for the widescreen collectors set of Star Wars. (released long before those SE remake "digital enhanced" mumbo jumbo.) :eek:

haha, and fools still complain about BD being too expensive at ~$25/movie. :D

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Have you tried reporting the problem to Netflix and asking them to send you a widescreen copy? They do that if your disc is scratched up. Bitching about it on a forum isn't going to fix anything.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Have you tried reporting the problem to Netflix and asking them to send you a widescreen copy? They do that if your disc is scratched up. Bitching about it on a forum isn't going to fix anything.

Actually yeah I have done that. (Well, as best as I can... they don't really have a section for this type of problem)

This is just a 'funny' thread to people like me. The people who get pissed off if they happen to be in a Wal-Mart and see 'Full Screen' on the front of all the DVDs. Opening up a Netflix envelope to find a Fullscreen DVD to us weirdos is like opening a package only to find a giant turd inside.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Once I got a DVD from Netflix that had a 4:3 image with black bars on the top and bottom, i.e., it was windowboxed.

Luckily it wasn't hard to just zoom in, but it did reduce the resolution.

Why would anyone, ANYONE, make windowboxed anything? How stupid must you be? Don't they have AV nerds working for them?

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
I don't ever post pics on here so I apologize if I jack this up...

2ag5j6h.jpg

Maybe I am smoking crack, but isnt that a Redbox DVD on top of a Netflix sleeve?

I think someone pulled the switcharoo, but why?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Once I got a DVD from Netflix that had a 4:3 image with black bars on the top and bottom, i.e., it was windowboxed.

Luckily it wasn't hard to just zoom in, but it did reduce the resolution.

Why would anyone, ANYONE, make windowboxed anything? How stupid must you be? Don't they have AV nerds working for them?

Letterboxing was standard only briefly when DVD makers wanted people at home to have the widescreen view of their movie, but it was assumed they had square TV's. Now that most people have widescreen TV's that decision looks incredibly stupid and shortsighted.

And for many movies we are left with inferior products. Thats why I had to get the super duper special editions of Tombstone and Robin Hood. Only widescreen copies available. For some movies, there are no widescreens, which sucks balls.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Letterboxing was standard only briefly when DVD makers wanted people at home to have the widescreen view of their movie, but it was assumed they had square TV's. Now that most people have widescreen TV's that decision looks incredibly stupid and shortsighted.

And for many movies we are left with inferior products. Thats why I had to get the super duper special editions of Tombstone and Robin Hood. Only widescreen copies available. For some movies, there are no widescreens, which sucks balls.

I'm sure windowboxing was done mostly with very old DVD releases. Nowadays there's no need - if you want fullscreen you can usually have your TV or DVD player cut off the sides for you or you can select fullscreen from the setup options.

I'd think the only movies where you really can't get a widescreen copy would be unpopular or low-budget movies that only got one DVD release way back when fullscreen was considered standard and were never re-released. Those or old movies that were simply filmed with a ~4:3 aspect ratio.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Maybe I am smoking crack, but isnt that a Redbox DVD on top of a Netflix sleeve?

I think someone pulled the switcharoo, but why?

You might be right. The messed up Twilight Zone version of what happens next if you are right though is frightening... someone out there opened their Red Box case and cried 'WHY, REDBOX, WHY!? I wanted the Fullscreen version!!!'