ATOT: What made you start coming to AT in the first place?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I was starting to dabble in PC building, which turned into buying used parts from the FS thread after a while. Not much of a PC gamer these days, but all those skills I picked up are still handy.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I lurked for years think i joined originally in 2000 ish when I did my first build was a AMD cpu with a VIA motherboard and a lot of problems. Also hot deals and the monitor section when LEDs first started coming out and all the talk about response time lag etc for gaming. I ended up getting a 19" Dell FP since retired but it still works if anyone wants a square 19" :)

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Same as many people it seems. Looking for info on a build in 05 led me to AT and the hardware forums. Being bored at work let me to the the other sub forums. I lurked daily from 05 to 11 when I finally made an account and then didn't post for two years or something like that.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What Rifter and Burnitdown said then some genius started the butter thread and I sold my soul.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I'm all about OT. I do build and run my own rigs for BOINC/WCG including dual socket servers but I came here mainly because I thought it might be a good community of like minded folks that I could hang with. I wasn't wrong.

Reactions: Thebobo

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I got banned from Ars for being a Linux/open source elitist and bashing Microsoft (I was going a bit too far at the time, I suppose) so I looked for another high traffic tech forum and came here.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Yes originally with the classic 300A@500 overclock for a few months, then i sold it to my bro and went with a socketed mobo the BM6 and a celeron 366@550.

Just couldn't beat those old school celeron overclocks.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I had heard that lifers got access to the Hot Chicks Room. Unfortunately, a decade+ later when I made it to lifer, all that was left were some cobwebs and a couple gimps who had retired from olds basement.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
But I thought he stopped selling his body (to the night)?

At least, that's what he told me?
Ho's gonna Ho.

Deals in the late 90's. Never joined because I never considered that a forum would be anything I would partake in. No reason other than that I hate people.

Happy?

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
But I thought he stopped selling his body (to the night)?

At least, that's what he told me?

XS5LK.gif

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Joined back in 2000 around my B-day...? Was over at Ars Technica for a while before and decided it sucked so wound up here...

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
The all mighty IP cult leader Kitchen Overlord has spoken!

My first recollection of your posts are all hackintosh related, are you still active in that scene?

Yes & no...no in the sense that my Hackintosh hasn't hiccuped since like 2011; it's still running strong with no reason to change anything (i5 + 10gb RAM + decent GPU), but yes, I still keep it updated with the latest OS software, although the only hardware change I've really made is to upgrade to a larger 6TB internal hard drive to store my video projects. I think the last pinned thread we have in there is from like 2013 or something. The game has gotten way too easy thanks to modern tools.

I actually started on the flip side of the fence...Stevie blew our collective nerd minds when he dumped PowerPC & went to Intel (back when it was Apple/Motorola vs. Windows/Intel), so we all pitched in & started figuring out how to get Windows on the new Macs. And once that happened, Apple ended up releasing Boot Camp finally, so then the game changed to getting OSX onto commodity Intel hardware. I think my original guide was like 20+ pages long lol. Wasn't much of a programmer though, but organizing & writing turned out to be reasonably useful in the scene. Today's guide is like two sentences: "create unibeast stick & install. then install drivers using multibeast." Kinda got burnt out on Hackintosh & had a mini meltdown at one point tho (sorry again guys!), then ended up starting a family & that takes up most of my time now (well, that and cooking, and neffing).

Apple is starting to up their hardware game though...5K monitors & upcoming 18-core processors in the iMac is keeping them on more or less the bleeding edge and they're supposed to be doing a modular Mac Pro in the near future, so we'll see how long Hackintosh goes for if they make things a bit more affordable through modularity. I would have loved to have had a real Mac Pro, but as they were $10,000+ fully loaded, my DIY version fit the bill better lol. And what's funny is how technology changes with time...I spent 99% of my time on my Chromebook these days. I really only use the desktop for specific-purpose stuff like doing video editing, typing long stuff, or scanning in paper mail to PDF. And even then, everything is pretty much cross-compatible with Windows these days, so the main reason I still have the Hackintosh is because it's still working like a charm.

I think I lurked for awhile before my 2004 join date. iirc I only really started posting once I got into questions that I couldn't figure out & couldn't be answered because I was away from my school peers & instructors who could answer them. Avoided OT for a long long time lol. I went back through some of my early posts from around that time not too long ago and was amazed at how much I've learned over the years. I was a complete & total n00b when I joined. Knew jack squat about anything computer-related. In hindsight, I think attitude + being persistent is what really wins the day in terms of getting good at something, getting a job in that field, etc.

I think I've mentioned this in other threads like this, but I've actually learned quite a bit from this forum, both technical & non-technical alike. My interest & knowledge in different things like cars, health & fitness, cooking, speaker building, etc. have all been at least partially developed through the sub-forums here & through great posters who put a lot of time & effort into sharing their knowledge with the rest of us, which I think is one of the things that makes this forum great (even though our traffic is noticeably smaller than it used to be).

Reactions: Crono
Apr 20, 2008
I had heard that lifers got access to the Hot Chicks Room. Unfortunately, a decade+ later when I made it to lifer, all that was left were some cobwebs and a couple gimps who had retired from olds basement.
Is that a real thing? I'm pushing for 10k. If a graveyard forum opens up I'm for it.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The year was 1999. I was telling a friend of mine about egghead.com (auction site) that I had sourced a bunch of refurbished stuff from, including a Kenwood Dolby surround sound system and a 29" CRT display that I had in my dorm room. He told me about AT Hot Deals and BigBigSavings as his favorite sources for computer part deals. I lurked for a bit, then eventually joined.

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
After getting help building my first computer from online resources, mainly Tom's Hardware, I learned of Anandtech. I found this forum more interesting for some reason. (I'm glad Tom's got rid of their P&N section a while back.)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I was told there would be no South Carolinians. I feel cheated and demand a refund.