ATOT Rafting trip on the Gauley River in WV?

pmoa

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2001
Rafting has been a hobby of mine and this year and next I wont have any of my friends to go with. We usually go once a year. For your information the Gauley River is one of the top rivers in the country to raft.

It is only raftable during the middle of september to October 31 on the weekends. The Army Corp of Engineers releases the water from the somersville dam and Class 3 to Class V+ the whole way down.

I would like to see if there is any interest in a trip to the Gauley. I have been several times and it is pretty fscking awesome. Ladies welcome to.

The trip would be roughly 250 bucks includes lodging in a tent, if you have a tent. And a prime rib dinner both days we are rafting. Saturday and Sunday. Then whatever costs you have on geting down there. It is about a 6 hour drive from Baltimore. Beers and food and late nights in the WV wilderness = debauchery.

Any interest?

rafting company

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
I don't know if I want to go with the unwashed hordes of ATOT, but I went a few years ago with friends. The drive to get there sucked, but it was a blast. I forget the name of the outfit we went with, but we rafted on saturday, had a pig roast waiting when we got back and free beer from 6-10.

ShockwaveVT

Dec 13, 2004
lol I'm going rafting there next weekend with some friends, we're doing the lower gauley. I've never been rafting before so I hope its not too crazy...

pmoa

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by: ShockwaveVT
lol I'm going rafting there next weekend with some friends, we're doing the lower gauley. I've never been rafting before so I hope its not too crazy...

Nah it wont be. The lower is a little more hard hitting with some rests in between, but the upper is more technical. Look at some pictures called pillow rock on google. sick.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
My gf and our friends were actually thinking of rafting there. We go rafting a couple times a year and this is a spot we'd like to visit.

pmoa

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
My gf and our friends were actually thinking of rafting there. We go rafting a couple times a year and this is a spot we'd like to visit.

Yeah its a nice spot...though the natives get a little restless at night...They start playing the hickory stick and a bunch of stompin' happens