++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7250 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Still early to call it... but setting all shares to async may have actually fixed this problem. I was reluctant to use it because it means stuff could corrupt if a system crashes mid write, but if it fixes it then so be it. At least my sanity will be restored. This was just starting to drive me insane, it seemed to be getting worse to the point it was affecting the performance of my workstation. I don't know what's with operating systems, they all do this, but if a mapped drive has performance issues, it causes the entire system to lock up. Windows does it, and so does Linux. Even if you're not actually trying to access that drive.

Either way I'm getting over 100MB/sec on NFS now. I've never seen this on this network, ever. I was very lucky to get 10MB/sec most days, and it would slowly taper off during a transfer, until it stabilizes around 1KB/sec. Now I get a bit over 100MB/sec sustained. That is on par with what I should expect from a gig network. 125MB/sec absolute max.

Still not sure if the vms are running in async mode or not though, not sure if this is something it just picks up over time or if it would require a full remapping of the luns, which I'm actually not sure how to do live.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'll be off for a couple days, hooked up my 4k directly so I can actually use it on my main machine. It's awesome, but will take some getting used to, it's just so much real estate, like rather than minimizing things I can just push them aside and take advantage of the space. It will come in more apparent when I'm doing actual work and not just surfing the net.

Stuff is obviously a bit smaller too so that will take getting used to as well. I was able to scale a few things a tad. I'm almost starting to think my idea of having the 2nd 4k on top might be way overkill, I won't make use of all that real estate lol. If I feel stuff is too small, I might stick to having a 1k as primary in the middle, then put the 4k on top. When I'm doing video editing and stuff I can still work from the top one for when real estate matters, then use primary for when I need to read stuff. I have lot of options anyway so I'll have to figure out what works best.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Tried to playback a 4k video on Youtube and it totally stuttered, but I wonder if that's just because the video card can't handle it. Just using onboard graphics. I have a spare GPU I can put in that machine though, so hopefully that will fix that. The idea of being able to actually play 4k content will be pretty cool. Not that there is much of it, but there is some.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Sucks. I get screen tearing when I play full screen even HD. I sure hope putting a better GPU will fix that. Might try that tonight or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow, I'm actually kinda tired so going to be an early night, won't even crack open the last bottle of wine. :p Leave that for another day.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just opened my video editor to play around in there,, video editing is going to be pretty nice on 4k. Can see more of the time line, preview video, and also more of the assets, effects etc, less cramped. If I go with the 2 monitor setup I should be able to make the preview go to the other screen too. Newer version of Firefox has option to set default zoom too. 110% to 120% seems to be the sweet spot.

Once I have everything tweaked I think this will be great.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Today, I installed a 512GB microSD card into my phone. Migrated the media data from the phone to the card. Been working on blocking ads on the phone. Anyone with a link to a working solution?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Today, I installed a 512GB microSD card into my phone. Migrated the media data from the phone to the card. Been working on blocking ads on the phone. Anyone with a link to a working solution?

I am using Brave browser. Mainly to block that Bell of Annoyance here. No ads either.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
For phone a Pihole is probably the best way, block it at the DNS level. Been meaning to set that up actually. I don't really do much browsing on my phone but some sites like this one are practically unusable because of all the ads, some of which block the content.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Installed a spare GPU in my machine. Forgot that this machine seems to not like add-on GPUs but I put it in another slot this time so it's only in the 8x slot but it does work. So far so good. Youtube videos seem less choppy now in full screen so I'm glad the issue was in fact just the built on GPU and not something else.

Even played a 4k test video, thought it was slightly choppy. For this particular machine I'm not too concerned though and not like I'll be playing lot of 4k content. Wanted the 4k for the real estate more than being able to watch 4k content.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
For phone a Pihole is probably the best way, block it at the DNS level. Been meaning to set that up actually. I don't really do much browsing on my phone but some sites like this one are practically unusable because of all the ads, some of which block the content.

I use Firefox add ons uBlock Origin and Adblock Plus. It keeps most everything off on the desktop. On mobile, I have to say that Adblock Plus fails. I'm not sure if it's Google intentionally not allowing it to work to serve up ads. uBlock gets most.

I am trying F-Droid. Have added DNS66 from the repository. Enabled 3 DNS servers. I wonder how you block ads in a free app.
PDKzCpu.png

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
New 20000 mAh portable high speed charger. Enough to charge my phone up 5 times at high speed (18W) via USB-C. I'm pairing it with a dock case printed circuit USB 3.1 v2 cable. It comes with a nylon mesh bag to protect it. Came with 3ft cable that I will put with my other cables for the road. It's thicker than my phone (and heavier, too!), but otherwise the same dimensions. Now, I will have high speed charging at home, on the road and portable if I need it.

L0imP9ql.jpg

EZEFTf2l.jpg

QHpDZHxl.jpg

Last edited: