++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7209 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This piece of land I found is the only thing on my mind lately, really want to buy it but it's a pretty big purchase that will put me in debt - basically like having another mortgage. Like 60-70k. Probably more once all is done, I assume there's fees and stuff that go along with such a purchase. Hopefully no HST, I don't think there is... but it seems to depend so I would not know till the end of the transaction.

Going to go see it after Christmas time is over I think. Winter is not the best time, spring is better, but I'll at least get a general idea of what the area looks like in winter. The land is pretty much everything I want in a rural property except no water access, but I'm willing to compromise on that. Heck there is enough land to make my own small lake if I want to lol. I wonder if the equipment rental store has a bagger 288.

Long term I think it would be a good investment though. If I want to eventually be able to play with toys like skidoos etc I need the land for it. Don't really want to deal with licensing and all that.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's near a small town so if I started applying for jobs there I could in theory move to that land full time once it's built up and fully winterized too. Costs of living would be so low even a minimum wage job would be enough to live off of. Ideally I want to try to become more self sufficient financially though. I have an idea for something I want to build and sell on Amazon but not sure how profitable it will be. I want to build it no matter what for myself but if I do it in volume it will be cheaper.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
If there is a situation where I can legally go (ex: green light, or stop sign and I stopped), but I can't because there's too many cars, that's too much traffic. Worse is this one area where there's so many intersections in one area it's very tricky to gauge where everyone is going when they're all trying to go at once. There is this random set of traffic lights (but only one side, not like a real intersection) right in the middle of it all, but it's just a bad setup all around.

I don't know how people in big cities do it day after day, I would rather eat lead traveling at high velocity.

Went to Canadian Tire today though, there was a deal too good to pass up. Lagostina cast iron grill (for use in oven) for $50, regular $169. Decided to attempt going to the grocery store after for some snacks but the snacks can wait. Tabarnak. I bailed. That parking lot was busier than the actual highway. It's nuts. Tomorrow is going to be even worse. I kind of did want some snacks for when I'll be on night shift but maybe I'll just go on a diet this Christmas. :p

Lemme try this again. I live in Arlington, Texas. it has a population of around 400K. It is nestled between Fort Worth (875K) and Dallas (1.3M) in a metro area exceeding 7.5 million. It's not NYC or LA, but I'm so tired of the congestion.

Reactions: zzuupp

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lemme try this again. I live in Arlington, Texas. it has a population of around 400K. It is nestled between Fort Worth (875K) and Dallas (1.3M) in a metro area exceeding 7.5 million. It's not NYC or LA, but I'm so tired of the congestion.

Yeah you could not pay me enough to live in a place that busy. From my understanding that's pretty much typical of anywhere in the states. I'll stick to northern Ontario where "rush hour" is everybody trying to get lunch at the same time in a city of 45k. The nearest city that's bigger is Sudbury at around 300km from here.

Reactions: zzuupp

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Finally got around to fixing my paper shredder. I also modded it to increase the performance. Once the epoxy sets I will take it for a spin. Probably wait till tomorrow, since I should consider going to bed. :p

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Yeah you could not pay me enough to live in a place that busy. From my understanding that's pretty much typical of anywhere in the states. I'll stick to northern Ontario where "rush hour" is everybody trying to get lunch at the same time in a city of 45k. The nearest city that's bigger is Sudbury at around 300km from here.

Here's a list of metro area populations and their growth. Toronto would fall 10th on this list. Also notice the growth in DFW for the last 10 years. It's insane. Too many people.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've always wanted to go to Sudbury. Is it everything they say it is?

Science north is pretty cool, been a long time since I went, I think it's more kid oriented but I know they added quite a lot of new stuff since I last went.

The also have one of the best heart hospitals, with Ottawa being probably the best. So if you're going to have a heart attack, that's a good place to be. :p

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Science north is pretty cool, been a long time since I went, I think it's more kid oriented but I know they added quite a lot of new stuff since I last went.

The also have one of the best heart hospitals, with Ottawa being probably the best. So if you're going to have a heart attack, that's a good place to be. :p
I want to see the mines and smelter.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The big nickel is one thing, but the buffalo in Earlton is all the rage. Those are some seriously huge testicles. :p Used to be a zoo but it's a RV shop now. Glad they kept the buffalo, that's an icon. I almost bought a piece of land in that area, I would have had my own lake. Was too swampy though.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Got a call for a circuit trouble... I hope this does not turn into a grenade where I end up with a 5 way conference call. Like why could they not call this in yesterday when it was normal working hours. They always do this.

Ordered some Chinese food since they close in half an hour, I hope I get to enjoy it.