++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Getting long. I figure another 6 months or so and I'll be at my goal length.

o9wDGVq.jpg

Curls were behaving today. :p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I love the old classics, like Bing Crosby.

I kinda want a turn table by the Christmas tree so I can play it on a record to be more authentic. :p

I am not saying it's a bad song, but I don't want to hear it multiple times a day for two fucking months

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Some power fluctuations going on in my city right now. I swear I actually felt that last surge. Like a magnetic impulse through my body, was weird. I thought I was going crazy or it was the wine talking, but I checked FB and people mentioned power loss right at the same time I felt it. I imagine when power goes out like that it probably sends a huge pulse of back EMF throughout the lines.

Would be interesting to have an AM radio of sorts running when that happens, probably hear a huge blast of RF on it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm starting to regret buying a truck. Almost twice a week I'm doing dump runs for family. Usually my sister. Getting annoying at this point. I just lied this time, said I'll be working. Really didn't feel like going anywhere tomorrow. It's technically true, she said "this weekend" and I am working Sunday.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Finally watched Star Wars Episode 8. It somehow escaped me to go see it when it was out in theatres then I kinda forgot about it. My HTPC failed me though, started acting retarded so ended up having to watch it on the PC. I think I'm going to scrap that Kodi setup and just put a regular box with a wireless keyboard/mouse and use VLC. VLC never fails me.

Might try a Raspberry PI 4 and just Raspbian, if that does not work then a NUC I guess.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I'm starting to regret buying a truck. Almost twice a week I'm doing dump runs for family. Usually my sister. Getting annoying at this point. I just lied this time, said I'll be working. Really didn't feel like going anywhere tomorrow. It's technically true, she said "this weekend" and I am working Sunday.
pics of your sister?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's a desktop chip, you want Epyc for servers.

Can you even buy Epyc? Server stuff tends to be too hard to get so I tend to just go desktop route. Built a couple Supermicro boxes but I overpaid so much just so that it's "server grade". Next builds will be desktop parts. Nice thing with server grade is the boards can fit more ram though... But I think even desktop Threadripper boards can go up to 64GB.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ryzen (non threadripper) chips are decent enough though... I want to build a box similar to my mining rig then have myself a 2 node VM cluster. Want to switch to Proxmox so it will give me hardware to experiment on before I migrate to it. 3 (or any impair number) boxes is preferred but think 2 works too.

Should pay off my truck first though...

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Can you even buy Epyc? Server stuff tends to be too hard to get so I tend to just go desktop route. Built a couple Supermicro boxes but I overpaid so much just so that it's "server grade". Next builds will be desktop parts. Nice thing with server grade is the boards can fit more ram though... But I think even desktop Threadripper boards can go up to 64GB.
pics of your sister?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Why can't you buy Epyc?