++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 6958 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Had a messed up dream last night. Was walking back home from some kind of event or something and noticed some people carrying golf clubs, boxes and other stuff, it seemed odd because it was like 3am. Then it occurred to me they were probably going house to house stealing stuff so I was dreading the idea that they might have already gotten my house. I get to my house and sure enough I see the door latch is busted and the door was still slightly open. I notice decorative pictures missing thinking "what a bunch of assholes why even steal stuff like that" but at same time hope that's all they stole. I immediately panic thinking they probably took all my servers but could still hear the fans and was too worried to even go down there to check right away so I proceed to my computer room and see that half my monitors are gone and so is the PC. I then start to panic thinking, do I try to go chase after them while they're still near or just call the cops.

Woke up at that moment with a relief it was just a dream. Kinda a wakeup call though, theft is very bad in my city and I probably should up my security. Especially my server room, need to finish it. My shed is not very secure either since the door opens outwards, I didn't think that through when I decided to go that way. The latch is super easy to just push with a credit card or something. Though I think I'm just going to put a separate alarm system in that one with a very loud siren. Even if the power is out it won't matter, they can cut my hydro feed all they like. The house alarm system also has battery backup and uses GSM. I guess a cell jammer would disable it though, but think if the communication is broken they get an alert and call me. Should test that some day actually.

Reactions: bigboxes

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Slightly sick this morning.

Damn postnasal drip.

Sinuses are leaking,and they won't stop.

(not really sick otherwise,just my leaky nose.....)

Reactions: bigboxes

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It sounds like a lot but not really. It's expensive to live in Markham.

Yeah true GTA is completely insane right now. Though I'm just curious what are the property taxes like? I find that's what makes cost of living where I am so high. I pay around $400/mo in taxes and $100/mo water and they both go up every year. It's one of the main reasons I really want to start looking for land in an unorganized township so that I can bring down my taxes and also live semi off grid. If I could cut out hydro, gas, water/sewer fees and greatly reduce property taxes that's like more than half my costs of living right there.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah true GTA is completely insane right now. Though I'm just curious what are the property taxes like? I find that's what makes cost of living where I am so high. I pay around $400/mo in taxes and $100/mo water and they both go up every year. It's one of the main reasons I really want to start looking for land in an unorganized township so that I can bring down my taxes and also live semi off grid. If I could cut out hydro, gas, water/sewer fees and greatly reduce property taxes that's like more than half my costs of living right there.

My house is valued at over 1M... I don't have a clue on how much taxes and stuff are per month. Taxes are on direct payment, utilities I pay whatever is on the invoice, I don't remember the numbers.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My house is valued at over 1M... I don't have a clue on how much taxes and stuff are per month. Taxes are on direct payment, utilities I pay whatever is on the invoice, I don't remember the numbers.

Woah that's crazy. You could sell and move somewhere cheaper and better and live off the cash. :D Even where I live now I find house prices and rent is rather high. My house is valued at a bit over 200k. Though the surrounding area is super cheap. Found a parcel of 40 acres river front for like 40k. I don't really have that type of money sitting around but I'm going to start saving up as I really want to buy a property like that and build a camp over the years, and eventually retire there.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
400w solar on my shed is not enough to keep just the inverter's draw going though, so I would need a HUGE solar system if I really want to go off grid. The system has to be sized for overcast light, as that's mostly what we get here. I get 60w on a good day. Have not seen what kind of power a sunny day gets me yet. Maybe in January, when we get the -30's it tends to not be cloudy.

With a big property I'd probably do a wind turbine too. Propane generator as backup but I'd want to avoid using it as much as possible.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Woah that's crazy. You could sell and move somewhere cheaper and better and live off the cash. :D Even where I live now I find house prices and rent is rather high. My house is valued at a bit over 200k. Though the surrounding area is super cheap. Found a parcel of 40 acres river front for like 40k. I don't really have that type of money sitting around but I'm going to start saving up as I really want to buy a property like that and build a camp over the years, and eventually retire there.

It's just an average 2500 sqft cookie cutter house. That is how crazy the market is.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You must be a Cuban!

Actually I don't know if it's an age thing but I find my hands get cold so easily. And I hate wearing gloves, it makes everything harder, even just trying to use the keys to unlock the car or doors etc. So when going from house to car or whatever I rarely bother putting any on. I really should though, they get so dry.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Actually I don't know if it's an age thing but I find my hands get cold so easily. And I hate wearing gloves, it makes everything harder, even just trying to use the keys to unlock the car or doors etc. So when going from house to car or whatever I rarely bother putting any on. I really should though, they get so dry.

keyless entry :awe: