++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 380 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
They don't make 140mm ones, so have to settle for yates on that box. (all 36 of them LOL)

Costing three to four times what a Yate does.

No thanks.

When you're $50k into a project another couple hundred for fans is nothing. ;)

Yates' are cheap Chinese shit.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
When you're $50k into a project another couple hundred for fans is nothing. ;)

Yates' are cheap Chinese shit.

When you're $50k in, sure, no arguments there. When your total budget is no more than $1500, it's a different story entirely.

Yates are cheap, I don't remember if they're Chinese, but they aren't shit. And where do you think Scythe fans are built? I'm betting somewhere on the western rim of the Pacific, and good odds are on China.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Yates are cheap and Scythe can be downright embarassing for the asking price. Best fans are NMB, Comair/Rotron, Pabst, Delta, Nidec, San-Ace, Panaflow. The Chinese copies can be quite bad indeed often failing tens of thousands of hours short of their published mean time between failure ratings.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
The average household computer is never going to see ten thousand hours. Again, we're talking wildly different projects. When you are building a mission-critical $50k 24/7 operation system, you are in an entirely different league from those of us who are building a neffing box that runs maybe eight hours per day with a budget of often less than $1000.

Pabst, Delta, San-Ace, and Panaflo are the only names I know of those, and I also know them as VERY expensive, and for most of them, predominantly dealing in high-CFM screamers, many 38mm depth. Again, not what most people need or want in their household machine, where the noise floor is far lower than that of a server room.

Now, neither I nor my friend have put even ten thousand hours on any of our Yates, but between the two of us, we've owned at least two dozen Yates, probably more towards three dozen, and had zero failures. So the reliability doesn't seem to be a concern, they move enough air, even on a radiator, and they don't make lots of funny noises or howl from high speed.

So for people not running gigantic server boxes with a budget that could buy a really nice sports car, they work just fine.

:awe:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
The average household computer is never going to see ten thousand hours. Again, we're talking wildly different projects. When you are building a mission-critical $50k 24/7 operation system, you are in an entirely different league from those of us who are building a neffing box that runs maybe eight hours per day with a budget of often less than $1000.
:awe:

I've lost 2 fans in my server over the course of 4 years of 24/7 operation. Nothing super bad* happened but they were a PITA to replace. If I build a new server next year (doubtful), I will probably put better fans in it.

*except I accidentally powered off half the RAID5 array :eek:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Speaking of hot tubs, samsung galaxy+hot tub = finding out that its water resistance is nil. :D

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
okay folks my computer case holds 4 fans my HSF needs 2. What would you recommend on a conservative budget?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
okay folks my computer case holds 4 fans my HSF needs 2. What would you recommend on a conservative budget?

Not sure what you're asking here -- what do you need a recommendation on? I thought you already had the fans.

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Also I want a new case :D

I haven't kept up on recent cases. When I built my last box in 2008, I splurged and bought a Cosmos S. When I bought it, I said I'd use it for at least 2 generations, if not more, due to the cost. I like the case quite a bit; the only thing I don't like is that I have it shoved back in a narrow opening between the wall and my desk and it is a minor pain to pull it out to do anything with it.

At any rate, Cooler Master cases are quite good and I see a lot of people with high-end rigs using them.