++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 340 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
KiXrO.jpg

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
45 posts left. Anyone who wants to hear my idea for 50k, I welcome input! PM only though. :awe:

Registered for two classes, wait list two, and fails on two. No cause for fails, no email for the wait listed fail, so I'll have to just go to it.

CAR TOMORROW?!!?!?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Ok, so does anyone know much about SSD caching? I am contemplating getting two 1 TB drives and putting them in a RAID0 array for speed and then caching them with a small SSD using a Z68 board. Comments? Newegg has the Gigabyte board with a 20 GB Larson Creek SSD for $240.

Last edited:

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Ok, so does anyone know much about SSD caching? I am contemplating getting two 1 GB drives and putting them in a RAID0 array for speed and then caching them with a small SSD using a Z68 board. Comments? Newegg has the Gigabyte board with a 20 GB Larson Creek SSD for $240.

1) 1GB drives? WTF?
2) RAID 0 failure concerns.
3) 2GB isn't enough for... uh, anything?
4) You're wasting your time and money and frustration. In practical terms, an SSD really is just that fast.
5) If you reply, I'll answer in this post via edit, I'm running out of posts!

EDIT:
Oh, the typo makes it all make sense now. I withdraw from the field, because I know nothing about caching.

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
1) 1GB drives? WTF?

I meant 1 TB, of course. That would give me 2 TB. That is probably more than enough capacity.

2) RAID 0 failure concerns.

No mission critical data would be stored and backups would be run regularly.

3) 2GB isn't enough for... uh, anything?

See above. It was a typo.

4) You're wasting your time and money and frustration. In practical terms, an SSD really is just that fast.

You aren't going to get anywhere close to 1 TB of SSD space, let alone 2 TB, at a reasonable price. SSD caching will put it close in performance, though.