++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
As for the banned title, I thought the mods said at one point if the title is banned, it's permanent, if there's no title, it's temporary. So nobody knows.

I read in one of the mod posts that the title actually depends on the method used for a ban. I think if you get banned through the infraction system, your title still shows. If a mod intentionally bans you, the title "Banned" appears.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
<script type="text/javascript">

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', '1']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();

</script>

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Continental ExtremeContact DWS (ultra high performance all season) 235/45R17 - $512 for four from TR. Add $45 for shipping. Then the cost of mounting and balancing.

But on the other hand, those are supposed to be, per ATG, among others, some very nice M&S tires, and they reportedly last much longer than a pure summer performance tire. Doing four new tires at the local place, including the house brand, would be... $350? $400? For the extra grip, with the prospective lifespan, the extra cost wouldn't bother me at all.

Besides, no matter what you ever do to a car, it all comes down to how well those four little edges of rubber hold the road.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I read in one of the mod posts that the title actually depends on the method used for a ban. I think if you get banned through the infraction system, your title still shows. If a mod intentionally bans you, the title "Banned" appears.

Ah. So then... it wasn't an auto ban, but a policy ban.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
You already bought the SSD, right? If so, then sure, put off the upgrade, but put in the SSD. It's worth the reformat. Hell, Windows 7 makes a reformat about a one day project tops, and everything looks like it usually does.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Seriously though, lunch time, and tire reading. Let's see if 235/45R17 will fit and be worthwhile on 17x7.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Tired of waiting and I can use that money on other stuff.

For me it comes down to can my current system do what I want it to do. So far yeah. I plan on a upgrade sometime next year around this time. By then the amount of HD video I'll be pushing will crush my current system.

Well that's the plan...

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Hal got banned a few weeks ago, DrP was involved, he finally acquired enough infractions to trigger an autoban according to Doc. I forget the last straw though.

As for the banned title, I thought the mods said at one point if the title is banned, it's permanent, if there's no title, it's temporary. So nobody knows.

I think if it is accumulated you don't get a banned title, but if a mod sets you to banned you do?

Not sure though...

Time for PFI?

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004

You beat me to it...

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
You already bought the SSD, right? If so, then sure, put off the upgrade, but put in the SSD. It's worth the reformat. Hell, Windows 7 makes a reformat about a one day project tops, and everything looks like it usually does.

I bought the SSD and RAM. With all the recent RAM sales, I stocked up and bought 24 GB. 8 GB of that is now in my HTPC, which is having issues and I just turned it off until I get the time to look at it more closely. I find it hard to believe the RAM is bad since it did this with another set of RAM too. I may just hook it up to an LCD and let it cycle memtest all night.

I am working on a larger plan to eliminate my large server, which would favor building a new rig with 16 GB because I'd move my Sharepoint development environments onto the new machine. But I'm kind of burned out on gaming right now so that would be a factor against me building a new box.

I'm thinking of the things I could use/need now. I need a Roku 2 for our bedroom once Amazon gets them in stock. I think I might need a Kindle. A PC? I just can't decide. I'm still pissed about my HTPC.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I found an ITX board which supports 8 GB. I figure I could get that and build a relatively efficient server and just get a couple of cheap 3 TB drives and mirror them for data. If I could make the box small enough I may be able to convince the wife to let me move it out of the man cave and into the master closet. :D

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
For me it comes down to can my current system do what I want it to do. So far yeah. I plan on a upgrade sometime next year around this time. By then the amount of HD video I'll be pushing will crush my current system.

Well that's the plan...

I'd get benefits from a new system, but how much is the question. Games such as BF:BC2 and BF3 would definitely benefit in a big way, but I don't play BC2 much now and it remains to be seen if I'll play BF3. On the surface, I think I will but if my friends don't get it, I probably won't either.

The upgrade itch is biting me, though. :) Maybe I should use the Amazon points and get the Kindle and Roku and hold out a few more months on my existing box.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
" After 16,000 of somewhat hard miles, all three letters 'DWS' are still visible in the center of the tire. For those who don't know, the letters 'DWS' are embossed in the tire and when the 'S' wears out, the tires are no longer recommeded for snow; when the 'W' wears out, they are no longer recommended for 'Wet' roads, and when the 'D' wears out, they are no longer recommened for dry roads."

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
" After 16,000 of somewhat hard miles, all three letters 'DWS' are still visible in the center of the tire. For those who don't know, the letters 'DWS' are embossed in the tire and when the 'S' wears out, the tires are no longer recommeded for snow; when the 'W' wears out, they are no longer recommended for 'Wet' roads, and when the 'D' wears out, they are no longer recommened for dry roads."

That's on a Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, I would assume the wheels are stock, but I don't know for sure.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

If I elect to put the SSD in my existing box, I'd want to copy my OS partition over to it and expand it to the size of the SSD. How hard is that to do?