++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 536 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I need to consolidate from WF and BoA to something else. Possibly local

I'm with BoA for check deposits, Sovereign for PayPal, and ING for savings and CC payments. Discover for the CC itself.

I've misplaced my checks from BoA, so I was trying to move money to Sovereign. Checks really are archaic.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
My main switch croaked this morning. It was acting up a few weeks ago so I bought another and just swapped them out.

The error codes seem to indicate an issue with the power supply according to what I've read on the internet.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
However, I have a universal power supply and set it to the same voltage and polarity and the error condition continues. I took the switch apart and don't see obvious damage.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
The school had a sign up recently... on the end of a third floor hallway, as if to ensure nobody will see it, saying that 29 computers were opened and had their video cards and memory removed, to the tune of $29k.

I lol'd, because I know the whole entire computer itself isn't worth $1000, more likely to be half that.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I've had 2 D-Link switches crap on me over the last 3 or 4 years. The one today was probably 6 or 7 years old and ran 24/7 but a five-port model died on me shortly after moving to my new house in 2008 and it couldn't have been but 2 or 3 years old.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I have no backup wireless router, and I suppose that makes me nervous. I should probably get my old DI-624 from my brother and see if I can get it working. According to him it does not work at all.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
And speaking of their lab equipment, my god, that stuff sucks!

All the calibration seals have been punctured. About half of the benchtop DMM's don't work. The power supplies are somewhere around fifteen to twenty years old, and none of them can do current control, only voltage variation. The o-scopes are about the best pieces there, and even those look like they're really basic models. I don't know anything about the arbitrary function generators, I haven't tried them.

The galvanometers are almost all notably inaccurate, and many of them have busted screen covers. The roll of copper wire we're given to use in breadboards don't actually work, the wire is too thin and weak to push into the boards, and it doesn't actually conduct. I don't understand how it can't conduct, there's no visible or perceptible lamination on it, but I checked multiple pieces every possible way. Of course, the bread boards themselves are about as cheap as it gets. The nicest thing in the whole place is the storeroom, with metal drawers with decent amounts of supplies.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I've never had a failed router.

Neither have I, though my DI-624 apparently had issues at my brother's house before he replaced it. I suppose I should get it back and see if it is usable and keep it as a backup unit. My DIR-655 is my core and if that goes, we have no internet.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Or, I should say, no wireless internet. I still have an ISA server that could potentially be reconfigured to function as the core router. Of course, I pulled the NIC it was bound to out of my server and put it into my new system in preparation for eventually installing VMWare on it.