++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 239 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
no, sharepoint is no where as complex as AD. fuck up AD and your domain dies :biggrin:. Yet the fucking thing is running on jet engine. Pisses me off.

AD under the hood is complex but the server topology and data storage is a cinch compared to Sharepoint. If I fuck up my AD, I do an authoritative restore of the AD DB and seize the FSMO roles and then NTDSUTIL the old server references out of AD. Trust me, I've done it -- it is easy.

If I fuck up Sharepoint -- well, there are so many new and exciting ways you could screw it up that it isn't even funny. To Microsoft's credit that did a much better job with patches on 2010 but it still has a way to go.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
AD under the hood is complex but the server topology and data storage is a cinch compared to Sharepoint. If I fuck up my AD, I do an authoritative restore of the AD DB and seize the FSMO roles and then NTDSUTIL the old server references out of AD. Trust me, I've done it -- it is easy.

If I fuck up Sharepoint -- well, there are so many new and exciting ways you could screw it up that it isn't even funny. To Microsoft's credit that did a much better job with patches on 2010 but it still has a way to go.

lulz, did I mention I work in an outsource environment?

It is a miracle that I have domain admin rights.

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
lulz, did I mention I work in an outsource environment?

Dude, don't get me started on that. I haven't even STARTED the SP 2010 project at our outsourced environment yet. I yelled at them last week and haven't heard a peep since.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If you properly decom a DC, there is literally no reason to snapshot it unless it is the only DC and you're testing a migration or something.

call me paranoid. I would rather flashback to snapshot than authoritative restore

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Dude, don't get me started on that. I haven't even STARTED the SP 2010 project at our outsourced environment yet. I yelled at them last week and haven't heard a peep since.

the place I work at is fully outsourced. they don't own anything...