++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 1560 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
let me know what you find out via pm, i'd be interested. there was an early 90s mazda coupe with the same tech they put underneath the drivers seat, it just seems kinda gimmicky to me...

same tech :biggrin: think of it as a coneless speaker. You bolt your chair to the coil and the magnet is the mass that moves.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
of course the wimpier ones bolt to the magnet and the movement is driven by the coil.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I'm training with Symantec this week.

I don't know why every backup software training course always devotes half of it to physical tape libraries anymore.

who the hell still backs up to tape? like, do I really need to spend 8 hours of my day learning how your software controls a robotic arm?

You still need to back data up to media that can be rotated offsite.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
First time for this job that I don't want to go to work. I'm taking the most boring data modeling course ever.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No idea. I'm not responsible for any of that. I think we can keep around 2 weeks of backups on the backup SAN. I think they were sending tapes offsite once per week.

There comes a time when tape is just not worth the effort.

Think trays of hdd :biggrin:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Personally, if I were them, I would've looked at backup up over a fiber to a remote third-party location rather than mess with tapes.

that is what I am talking about, doesn't have to be third party, just third site.

reality is most of the important stuff like db, the backup is useless. sure you can restore to previous point in time, but whatever happened after that is gone.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
that is what I am talking about, doesn't have to be third party, just third site.

reality is most of the important stuff like db, the backup is useless. sure you can restore to previous point in time, but whatever happened after that is gone.

The problem with our sites is that they're only separated by a couple of miles, so an earthquake and possibly a tornado could take both sites out. So in our case, a more remote site is necessary.