ATOT Medical Crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
I have a ingrown hair on my lower neck, which is common for me because of how sideways and curly my hair is. Usually I heat and mostion the area and then remove the hair. This time its really infected, and very painfull. I'm working late everyday and cant really go see a doctor because the nearest urgent care thats open late is about 30 min away.

I have a 25 tablets of Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim DS 800 mg / 160 mg.

Can I take these for the infection?

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
,... you are seeking medical advice from a snarky smarmy know-it-all internet forum,...

I strongly suggest you go see a Dr and get it taken care of.

Also, is the hair still in there?

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
,... you are seeking medical advice from a snarky smarmy know-it-all internet forum,...

I strongly suggest you go see a Dr and get it taken care of.

Also, is the hair still in there?

As far as I know its still in there, I wasnt able to get it to come to the surface. What I need to know is if this antibiotic will be effective against the bateria that infects hair follicles. It could also be Hot Tub Folliculitis( Pseudomonas aeruginosa), as I have been in two different hot tubs in the last week or so.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Keep it clean. If you are healthy, it will go away on it's own.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
LOL. Don't take antibiotics for an ingrown hair "infection."

Now I see why we have more and more drug-resistant bacteria.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
As far as I know its still in there, I wasnt able to get it to come to the surface. What I need to know is if this antibiotic will be effective against the bateria that infects hair follicles. It could also be Hot Tub Folliculitis( Pseudomonas aeruginosa), as I have been in two different hot tubs in the last week or so.

If it stays in there, it will continue to get infected.

Also, tell John Cusack I said "hi".

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
If it stays in there, it will continue to get infected.

Also, tell John Cusack I said "hi".

If you feel something "must" be done, use a topical antibiotic like neosporin and cover with a bandaid. It will eventually heal on its own. Its not an "infection" - its mroe like your white blood cells attacking your ingrown hair itself. THis is why antibiotics are ineffective, there is nothing to kill.

Very poor advice follows. Take a shower and drop a pin into it. That'll give immediate relief but opens you up to massive infection.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
take a sharp knife with a nice pointy end, dig out hair, pluck said hair, wipe area with rubbing alcohol, go to work.

Works everytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.