atot carpenters / woodworkers - question for you!

MeanMeosh

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
i'm trying to make cubes like in this pic:

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/meanmeosh/sketch.jpg

the wood's gonna be only 3/4" - 1" thick, and i'd prefer them to be 45degree cuts at the joints. what's the best way to bind them together and have as little of it as possible show on the outside? nails are out, as a result.

should i go for a series of shallow mitred joints with splines (http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/meanmeosh/mitred_joint_spline.jpg) or would it be worth the time and effort to do a milled corner joint (http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/meanmeosh/milled_corner_joint.jpg).

i'd have the do the milled corner joint with hand tools. for the first kind of joint, i could use my circular saw to make the 45degree cuts and then use a handsaw to saw in shallow, thin holes for splines.

any other joints that i should consider? i'm going to make 4 or 5, and stack them to make bookshelves, so should i just not expend the energy and use little braces (http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id=354) on the inside corner and screw them in?

the tools i have on hand are a circular saw, a drill, and i have access to some hand tools (hammers, different width chisels, a hand saw, a hack saw). i could always get other tools, so if you think some other tool will produce a nice-looking joint, let me know.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
You're not going to get the desired surface finish and trueness along the length of your cut with a table saw. When you mate a joint the butted together sections need to be perfectly straight and true. At minimum you'll need a router, or better still a router on a router table, best would be a shaper. Although a real "woodwright" could probably do it with a hand plane. ;)

I think Norm would use a biscuit joint. He might use some finish nails to hold it all together while the glue dries.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
...i'm going to make 4 or 5, and stack them to make bookshelves, so should i just not expend the energy and use...

Why reinvent the wheel, especially since you have so few cabinet making tools. You would need a table saw at the very least. There are 101 ways to build simple shelves, and you're looking for ways to acheive furniture quality joints.

Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
if you just want some cube and are cheap, go to Target...they sell these thing for about $10
:thumbsup:

I've got zero interest in making furniture, because the stuff is so cheap to buy, and I wouldn't even begin think for one second, that I could match the high quality stuff I prefer. I'd rather buy that used, which can also be done with decent shelving.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
I would take the opportunity to buy a pocket hole kit & do butt joints...

kreg

Welcome to joinery;)

ahhh....I forgot about the oppurtunity to buy more tools..

or Dovetail it.....by hand and wood chisels....

:evil:

Seriously though, get a router and a 3/4" routher bit, some wood glue and 4 long pine boards.

Use three of the boards to form a U shape(sides and back)
Mark off on the wood where you want the shelves to go
Use the router to cut out a channel in the wood
Cut the 4th piece down into shelves
Assembly with wood glue and nails...

Done....

*Tip*
If you don't want to get a router and have access to a table saw you can cut the channels with it, just multiple passes.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Boxes like that will not have much in the way of stability if you are going to stack them. (unless they have backs)

I would suggest dovetails, but now we are talking about jigs and routers if you plan on doing this yourself.

If not, glue those 45's and sink finishing nails in them, then fill holes with filler and sand. (you'll never see 'em)

This is a desk I did a while back, look at the box on the left. (it's upside down) The tops have 45's with nails, the bottoms have butt joints, both were glued and nailed.
linky

EDIT: There is an amp box to the right of this desk, that was dovetailed for strength. linky

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare

kreg

Welcome to joinery;)

Seriously though, get a router and a 3/4" routher bit, some wood glue and 4 long pine boards.

Done....

*Tip*
If you don't want to get a router and have access to a table saw you can cut the channels with it, just multiple passes.

or get a dado blade an make one pass.

heedoyiu

Jan 13, 2005
you know it does seem little odd to do what you are doing, but in some odd way out in left field sense
its like building a computer. i sure when your done with something you built and your proud of
well go for it man. heck experience and knowledge in wood working never go to waste,
well unless someone turns into my brother and smokes a lot of pot.

rhino56

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
what you can do is cut all the angles like you got them at the 45's

now take the pieces and cut the tip of your angle cut off about 1/4 inch or even a little more.

you still got plenty to grab hold of with a bisquit or spline for joining the corners.

but now you just rip some 1/4 by 1/4 inch hardwood strips and glue them in the corners and sand them off a little round.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: Nitemare

kreg

Welcome to joinery;)

Done....

*Tip*

or get a dado blade an make one pass.

A good dado blade will set you back a bit, plus the cut is rather ragged...not worth it imho

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Dado and rabbits, Glue and possibly screws inset 1/4" then filled flush, stained?

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Dovetails look nice and are strong, but they're a pain in the butt most of the time.

Dovetails are not for faint-of-heart, there's some education involved in getting the fit proper, even with jigs and fancy fences (I use a Jointech fence ... about as easy as it gets, and it's still a pain).

If you want to get into some fancy cutting (but relatively easy, compared to a dovetail), try a box joint. They're still a somewhat decorative, and almost as strong as a dovetail.

You can make a box joint template / tablesaw jig easily, there are some designs online @ the woodworking / magazine sites.

Secondary to that, biscuits ... but, as mentioned, the lateral stability (without a back or brace on the box) will limit the weight you can stack on it.

A pocket joint probably wouldn't work, there's not enough wood for the screw to bite into at a beveled joint (at least to do any good, strenght-wise).

Another option would be to built a traditoinal box (no bevels) and use a laminate to cover it ... so maybe you need to buy a flush-cut router bit, contact cement, and a laminate roller - cheap in the grand scheme of things.

That's it for me, good luck & have fun (don't forget your eye & ear protection).

Scott