ATIKMDAG.SYS - Current Verdict?

alphadogg

Feb 28, 2007
So, I have two 4870s in one system: Intel Q6600 (65nm) @ 2.4GHz (no OC yet), Biostar TPower I45, 4GB GSkill DDR2 4-4-4-12, two Visiontek ATI 4870 (no OC yet) with catalyst 8.9 drivers, Corsair 750W, Vista64.

I get the dreaded atikmdiag.sys crashes/BSODs.

What's the current word on a workaround and/or solution? I've seen it blamed on the Intel chipset (P45), the 4GB or the timings of RAM, the PSU, Vista, etc.

Tried to re-install a couple of times, even with a full sweep of any ATI whiff, and no joy. The only other thing I tried that seemed to work somewhat was to force Vista to one core out of the four. Obviously, not a good solution...

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
I have a friend with the same problem you have , but with a 4850. He said he uninstalled the Catalyst Control Center and the problem went away, at least for the moment. He is still testing it....

readymix

Jan 3, 2007
i asked the same last week or the week before that. put my original card back in and have had no errors in 3 weeks. bad card, my conclusion

alphadogg

Feb 28, 2007

Yes.

Since that post, I have noted in various forums that dual-monitor setups seem to suffer particularly, if not exclusively.

My system was totally stable with one card for its first week or two of life. I had just put it together and was benching the crap out of it, so it was being stress-tested.

Then, I added a second 4870 and it all went to aich-eee-double-hockey-sticks.

May have to back down to one card until resolved...

Damn. I was hoping to be one of the few lucky ones...

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Um... note the similarities in our systems (see my sig).

I have the same problem as you... ONLY when I run dual monitors. Using a single monitor, I have not seen that issue in the last 7 or so weeks (I learned real fast in the first 1-2 weeks after building).

IMHO... it's a dual monitor thing... which sucks!

Edit: While I won't delete this post... what's the deal with bringing a dead one up from several months ago?