ATi Strikes Back!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: SniperDaws
ATI have had there day and now its time for somone else to step up and push ATI to the back of the queue ATI like 3dfx are out of the race as far as im concerned.

LOL, this is ridiculous. They lose the race for one generation and you say they are all done? If that were the case Nvidia would have been done a long time ago.

it has always been back and forth with the 2 companies.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: spittledip
ATI have had there day and now its time for somone else to step up and push ATI to the back of the queue ATI like 3dfx are out of the race as far as im concerned.

LOL, this is ridiculous. They lose the race for one generation and you say they are all done? If that were the case Nvidia would have been done a long time ago.

QFT. ATI is not out of the race at this time. They always had a very good compelling card for similar prices or lower.

19x0 series anyone? It pwned all 7 series and sometimes doubling up on performance as time progressed. Same with 2600xt. It's now neck and neck with 8600gts in some games and crushes 8600gt heartedly.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
What I don't get is why ATI doesn't use more ROPS and or texturing units on their cards?

They had the same old 16 by 16 while Nvidia has been doubling up.

SniperDaws

Aug 14, 2007
Originally posted by: Azn
Originally posted by: spittledip

QFT. ATI is not out of the race at this time. They always had a very good compelling card for similar prices or lower.

19x0 series anyone? It pwned all 7 series and sometimes doubling up on performance as time progressed. Same with 2600xt. It's now neck and neck with 8600gts in some games and crushes 8600gt heartedly.

Well thats me well and truely told, why on earth am i spending £170 on an 8800GT when all i need to do is buy one of those awesome 2600XT's.

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: nullpointerus
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: SteelSix
It should be noted that the slide published by Tweaktown web-site does not resemble typical slides from Advanced Micro Devices

Before I got to this line, I was already smelling BS. Powerpoint Gone Wild...

How about you finish that sentence?

It should be noted that the slide published by Tweaktown web-site does not resemble typical slides from Advanced Micro Devices' roadmap and generally looks like a slide from one of the add-in card manufacturers.

And adding that made all the difference, how? Still the same. I was focused on the "does not resemble" thing myself.

The "BS" and "PowerPoint Gone Wild" remarks indicate that SteelSix was saying the slides were made up by the article author and not just something leaked from another legitimate source: AMD's AIB partners. That would be misleading, right?

We can see that the slide is inaccurate from the scores alone.

Posting a partial quote as if the quote itself exposed the slides as being fabricated is dishonest because it puts words in the author's mouth and misleads readers.

By contrast, talking about the scores would be an honest means of exposing the slides.

So what makes this a legitimate source?

I said AMD's AIB partners are a legitimate source.

I made no claim about the slides' validity...either way...nor do I care to, ATM.

Contributing a minor observation or fact to a discussion is becoming increasingly difficult in these forums. :(

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
I highly doubt this will end up selling for $799 as the article says. If R680 is really nothing more than two RV670s, I can't see it selling for more than $500~. Otherwise, why not just buy two HD 3870s for $400, and use them in Crossfire?

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
Since the GT is only $200-250, the next size up (refreshed GTS) should only be $300-350, and the top of the line (refreshed GTX) $400-450.
For a super-highend part anything over $449 is pushing it, anything over $549 is insane.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: yacoub
Since the GT is only $200-250, the next size up (refreshed GTS) should only be $300-350, and the top of the line (refreshed GTX) $400-450.
For a super-highend part anything over $449 is pushing it, anything over $549 is insane.

Maybe it should, but that wasn't the case the last few years, and I'm sure it won't be in the future. As you go up the hierarchy, you get less bang/buck, and that's how you end up with an oc'd gtx selling as an "ultra" for $200 more.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Extelleron
I highly doubt this will end up selling for $799 as the article says. If R680 is really nothing more than two RV670s, I can't see it selling for more than $500~. Otherwise, why not just buy two HD 3870s for $400, and use them in Crossfire?

cause you can use quad fire!

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
NO, NO NO!
OCTO-FIRE! 1xfire x 4 xfire slots plus x2 gpu = 1x4x2=8!!! that would quite possible show better performance than a single 8800gt...maybe...

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
NO, NO NO!
OCTO-FIRE! 1xfire x 4 xfire slots plus x2 gpu = 1x4x2=8!!! that would quite possible show better performance than a single 8800gt...maybe...

Only with no AA.

Sorry couldn't resist.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I dunno, there *might* be something to this.

Fudzilla and I think the Inquirer have been reporting on this dual-GPU card for some time now.

The $799 price sounds ridiculous, especially in light of SLI'ed 8800GTs.

Why can't they have this out by year-end? They already have the main GPU ready. They just need to add a second socket to the board...I'm pretty sure that's quite simple. The crossfire drivers are probably already close to being finished.

AMD needs to pull off something like this, only at a pricepoint that's lower than the GTX's price.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
NO, NO NO!

Only with no AA.

Sorry couldn't resist.

I know you are joking but it is actually a good point...

Besides... what about the upcomming nvidia super sli configurations?

If AMD thinks supergluing two cards together for quadfire and later octo fire is a way to compete they are forgetting that the competition can do the same. And if it takes two of their cards to compete with one nvidia card then nvidia wins.

SilentRunning

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: nullpointerus
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: SteelSix
It should be noted that the slide published by Tweaktown web-site does not resemble typical slides from Advanced Micro Devices

Before I got to this line, I was already smelling BS. Powerpoint Gone Wild...

How about you finish that sentence?

It should be noted that the slide published by Tweaktown web-site does not resemble typical slides from Advanced Micro Devices' roadmap and generally looks like a slide from one of the add-in card manufacturers.

And adding that made all the difference, how? Still the same. I was focused on the "does not resemble" thing myself.

The "BS" and "PowerPoint Gone Wild" remarks indicate that SteelSix was saying the slides were made up by the article author and not just something leaked from another legitimate source: AMD's AIB partners. That would be misleading, right?

We can see that the slide is inaccurate from the scores alone. So what makes this a legitimate source?

Just curious, what is wrong with the scores?