ATI or NVIDIA for PS CS5 and video editing

irse

Oct 3, 2002
I currently have a Sapphire HD5670 1 GB 128 bit GDDR5. Would I benefit but changing to a NVIDIA card that supports CUDA? I was looking at a Sparkle GeForce GTS 450 1 GB GDDR5 or a ZOTAC ZT-40601-20L GeForce GT 430 1 GB DD3. I only do photo editing and video (HD) rendering. No games whatsoever. I do want a fanless card. I'm just wondering if CUDA supported cards are that much better for programs like PS CS5 and Videostudio X3. Can I go down from a GDDR5 card to a DDR3 card without loss of performance? Thanks

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=58195

List of programs that are GPGPU accelerated, and by white types (note its not fully upto date):

however:
Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 (CUDA, STREAM)

^ so it should work reguardless of if you use a AMD or Nvidia card.

Photoshop as far as I know is OpenGL/DirectCompute or something so, both cards can do it. However there are a few plugins that are cuda only,... such as beauty box.... *IF* you use beauty box plugin alot, CUDA is great... if not... no big deal (again depends on which plugins you use).

Would I benefit but changing to a NVIDIA card that supports CUDA?
Doesnt look like it for VideoStudio Pro X3, and Photoshop most likely not either.

Now Nvidia cards usually have abit more compute power, but it wont be night and day differnces.

Last edited:

irse

Oct 3, 2002
Thanks. Probably just keep my card instead of paying another $150 for a new card and see minimal difference.

jsedlak

Mar 2, 2008
I doubt it will matter much. Photoshop has other bottlenecks (RAM being one).

Not that it is any decent comparison, but CS5 decimates my laptop NVIDIA 300m & drivers to the point where the screen blinks black. My desktop with an ATI 4870 runs it perfect.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Photoshop doesn't use CUDA. Adobe Premier does (Mercury playback engine). Lots of people are confused on this because they are all version CS5.