ATi MMC 7.6 > 7.7: Any Format Changes?

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Hello! I have an ATi AIW Radeon 8500 128MB and have been using MMC 7.6 for a few weeks with the new Catalyst drivers. I would have been using the MMC 7.7, but when I did the upgrade install from 7.6 > 7.7, I kept getting a bogus error message and the TV program wouldn't start. I simply uninstalled MMC 7.7 Upgrade and 7.6 worked great.

A few days ago, I formatted my HDD to rid my system of its sluggishness and to get rid of the bloated programs I do not use anymore.

Now, I decided to try the MMC 7.7 again with the Catalyst drivers I had been using before for the format. I notice when I have the TV program set to record in "DVD Quality" mode like it was before, it records the files in .mpg format. Before with MMC 7.6, the TV program recorded my shows in .mp2 format.

In short, were there any changes in the format which the ATi MMC program records changed with the new upgrade?

I personally do not see any noticeable quality change, but I have not recorded any full-length TV shows yet. Just some short clips to test the settings.

Are there any major changes between .mp2 and .mpg in terms of sound and video quality? Crank Yankers episode #4 is on tonight and I must get it! :) (If you have episode #1 recorded, please PM me so we can talk. I am working on making an archive.) :D

Thank you very very much for any insight you can give me.

Have a great day!

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Are there any major changes between .mp2 and .mpg in terms of sound and video quality?

Sound..no, video...yes.

*.mpg = MPEG-1 compression
*.mp2 = MPEG-2 compression

There are presets for either in all MMC 7.x versions, you can also use custom settings. You can check the settings on the presets by editing their profile. MPEG 1 or 2 IQ can vary widely with their various settings. MPEG-2 is the superior format in terms of quality/compression.

The biggest change I noticed between 7.6 and 7.7 is the SVCD preset.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Yes, I should have mentioned that DVD was set to MPEG-2.

Anyways, you answered my question and I appreciate it!

Thanks!