ATI hsf removel.....

SeaSerpent

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2001
How do I remove the hsf on my ATI 8500 128mb video card. I would like to replace it with a orb, but its glued on there pretty good.
Thanks,
Chris:)

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Not sure if you really need to, but if you want. I really dont know how, I once removed a p3 from a heatsink just using a flatheaded screwdriver. Sure it takes a while but I dont want to break it. Anyone have anysuggetions on how to get all the glue of the surface?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Stick it in the freezer in a static resistant bag overnight. Take it out the next day and put a credit card under the HSF and take a butter knife and slide it between the credit card and the bottom of the HSF and pry gently up. The adhesive would be very brittle and crack easily. Then just lightly sand the core/GPU to get the remaining adhesive off. Use very fine sand paper. Then put your favorite brand of thermal compound/adhesive (AC3 works good) and attach the new HSF and let the part warn to room temp before using it. Let it sit out in the open air for about an hour.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Stick it in the freezer in a static resistant bag overnight. Take it out the next day and put a credit card under the HSF and take a butter knife and slide it between the credit card and the bottom of the HSF and pry gently up. The adhesive would be very brittle and crack easily. Then just lightly sand the core/GPU to get the remaining adhesive off. Use very fine sand paper. Then put your favorite brand of thermal compound/adhesive (AC3 works good) and attach the new HSF and let the part warn to room temp before using it. Let it sit out in the open air for about an hour.

I couldn't have said that any better myself. :):)

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
30m in the freezer should do it and rather than sandpaper, use isopropyl alcohol from the pharmacy.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I ALWAYS sand the core and the HSF going on just to smooth out any rough spots and ensure a 100% solid contact.